Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS650GLZ questions

Ok...It doesn't start, why? LOL

Ok...more information, but I couldn't resist the whole newbie sounding question.

So far, I have found a rectifier/regulator ground wire that is unhooked, i.e. to any place. I'm thinking that grounding that some place, throwing in my new battery and some gas should allow it to start. Supposedly, according to the P.O. there was one wire missing, and I think that's it.

But...I'm not an expert, so I'm looking for some expert advice/suggestions/whatever.

The other question is regarding shifting. It's a 5 speed, but I'm only able to get it into 3rd, I think. I have to actually get the bike running first. The shift pattern shows a circle, which I have never seen before. I thought that motorcycles were vertical shifters. So...am I doing something wrong in reading it?

Thanks for the help.

Your bike should start and run even if your R/R is bad. Jump your battery with a car battery (car not running) and see if that makes a dfference. It should at least turn over rapidly even if it doesn't start.

As to the transmission, I would reserve judgement on that until the bike is running and transmission shafts are rotating. It will probably shift fine.

Comment

The bike has a standard shifting pattern, 1st is down, then up to N, 2, 3, 4, 5. The circle is deceptive.

What color wire is disconnected at the R/R?

Comment

The wire itself is a bit deceptive. LOL It's black/white. But, according to Clymer's that's the ground, which should be black. LOL

I just have to find someplace to ground it to, which shouldn't be terribly difficult, considering the frame sits around it. LOL

I noticed that it's missing the air boot, which hooks the air filter to the carbs. Also, I have to figure out the whole fuel line situation, since they seem to be partly there, and partly not. LOL I think that's just a couple of hoses and I'm done though. Just have to route them right.

Now, I'm just waiting until Friday, when my air parts come in from Suzuki. Once I get that, and the fuel lines, which I'll try and pick up then, assuming they have them, then I can figure out the rest. LOL

One step at a time.

Comment

make sure your airbox is hooked up properly, or else your bike won't run or either run horribly
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolf View Post
            I just have to find someplace to ground it to, which shouldn't be terribly difficult, considering the frame sits around it. LOL
            Ground it to the battery. Too many folks on here have had problems when R/R is grounded to frame... me being one of them. :-D

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Good information, thanks.

I was going to hook it to the frame. LOL Just because it's closer, but...I can easily hook it to the ground.

Comment

Ok...any thoughts...

I just found out that my air boot has been discontinued.

So...Now, I guess I'm running without any kind of air cleaner, since the boot hooks the cleaner to the carbs.

Not the greatest news I have heard today, since they said they could get everything with no issues.

Help?? Or am I just completely screwed.

Comment

Anyone use these? I imagine they hook up directly to the carbs, but I'm not sure, and I'm some sort of screw in the rebreather tube is necessary as well.

As always....I need help. LOL

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X