Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000e: Phantom Turn Signals

1979 GS1000e

I've been riding the bike for about a month now and the turn signals are "funny". Left signal has always worked from day one. Right signal, if the bike sits for a couple of days it starts to work after about 10 minutes of riding. If I ride her daily, the signal works right away.

Pushing down on the button shuts off the signals.

Two days ago, I left her out of the garage for the first time since I owned her. When I woke up in the morning, she had a nice layer of dew all over her.

On the way to work the turn signals would not shut off when pushing down on the button. I'm assuming there's an auto shut off because they would only turn off after I dipped the bike in a turn, either side. After a lane change, I could not get the signals to turn off. I could alternate them, but they stayed on until I could dip the bike in a turn.

After lunch I went out for a ride and signals did not work at all. It was about 80º out, so I had hoped all the morning dew had evaporated.

So that's where I stand, no signals at this point. Any ideas on where I should start? I checked the fuses and all of them are fine (not sure which one is the one for the signals). Could I need a new handle bar switch? Or possibly a signal fuse?

Thanks for any help!

-Fran

You need to change your blinker fluid.

Comment

Sorry couldn't resist....try cleaning all wire connections which also includes bulb sockets. Clean inside turn signal switch also. If this has the self-cancel feature...some have disconnected this unit as its been problem-matic.

Comment

Could you give me a good, inexpensive source for Blinker Fluid?
        I had a bottle, but I knocked it over when I was replacing my Muffler Bearings...

\\/

Comment

Sounds like mine did prior to quitting altogether. Black box. If and when yours goes, convert to a manual system, that rascal costs $300. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Black Box? What's that?
            What is this manual system you're referring to?
            I'm new to the bike world, not down with all the lingo...

Comment

"Black Box"

The black box referred to is the Electronic turn signal controller. It is located on the right side, next to the battery box. Mine was upside down and filled up with water. I hope yours is right side up as there is a metal cover on top of the unit and it should be upright. It is about 2 x the size of a pack of cigarettes. There is a cable and connector plug that can be checked for corrosion, make sure the pins are clean.
              Also, the reason it is electronic is there is a signal wire from the Speedometer that will cancel the turn signal when the bike accelerates 15 mph more than when it was turned on.
              I believe it acts this way under, maybe 30 mph. The cancel button is the switch in the center position and pushed down.

Keith Krouse in the Forum owns a 1979 1000 E and is very knowlegeable on the electrics.

I had to replace a relay on mine and got lucky that it fixed it. Have to know a bit of electronics but it can be done.

Jay

Comment

Try cleaning all the connections and of course check the fuse if it completely quit working. Then, if it was mine, I'd disconnect the two distance/speed sensor wires inside the headlight housing that go to the speedo. The distance/speed sensor is a pain in my opinion anyway. I'd much rather turn them on and off manually. If it still gives you trouble, the turn signal control unit is very sensitive to vibration and may be failing.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

After much work, I finally figured it out.
                  I took apart the turn signal control completely, switches, springs, everything was taken apart and cleaned, then put back together. That was a pain because, as I took it apart, I didn't know there were springs in there so they went flying all over the garage! Took me about a 1/2 hour to find them all, but I got the switch back together. I checked the connections with a multimeter and everything works.

Then I took the electronic signal controller out to give it a look and THAT'S when I discovered the problem. 1 of the 2 connectors was not plugged in! I guess it worked it's way loose over time, I popped the connector together and everything started working!
                  \\/

But I'm back to my original problem... the right turn signal only works after I've been riding for a while. Sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 15. The left signal always works. Would this be a problem with the distance/speed sensor? I would think if it was, then neither signal would work, I check the left at the same time and it always works.

As silly as it sounds, is there something that needs to "warm up"? Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. If it is the distance/speed sensor, do I just disconnect and tape up?

Thanks for any more help in this matter,

-Fran

Comment

Nothing should have to "warm up" to work correctly.
                    I don't know if disconnecting the speed sensor will help in this case but as I've said before, the sensor/distance thingy is a problem area anyway that can cause more inconvenience than it's worth. I'd at least try it.
                    If you're sure all the connectors are tight and clean, not much else you can do. Don't bother replacing/blaming the flasher either because the two prong type doesn't know left from right. Both sides stop working if it's a flasher problem on this model.
                    Those turn signal control units do all sorts of odd things before they die. Usually one side starts intermittently working then eventually stops completely. Then both sides die. I think vibration kills them. There are very fine wires inside them.
                    If you get another one, I suggest mounting in with a 1" pad of exterior foam between it and the battery case to help against vibration. Only the '78 and '79 use the same TSCU. I think the '85/'86 Suzuki Madura uses the same unit but I'm not positive.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I would check all grounds on the troubled signal including inside the lens housing. On my bikes signals most problems are caused by bad grounds.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Can the turn signal controllers still be purchased new, or are used parts my only option? Just wondering because I could potentially have the same problem if I have to buy used.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Comment

The TSCU is expensive if bought from a dealer. $350 from Suzuki I believe.
                          Do a search to see if you're interested in eliminating the TSCU. There's a few threads here on how to do that.

Comment

Working...
                          X