Strange Warning light on GSX750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Warning light on GSX750ES

On my instrument cluster there is a warning light just to the right of the Oil pressure warning light , it is identified by Japanese writing ( every thing else is english ) . Anyone have a clue as to what it is ? I have never seen it come on . I think the bike is a Japanese market spec bike although it was sold new here in NZ as its got a 180km speedometer.

Dave

I am not familiar with the cluster on home market gsx750es's what color is the light?
    could you post a picture of it?
    unless I am mistaken that would be the side stand light.

Comment

Its a red light , I cant post a picture yet but I looked up the 85 GS700ES on Bike Bandit and the dash is the same , the light right next to the Oil warning light to the right.

Dave

Comment

KiwiXr:

On my US-market 1983 GS750ES that red light (immediately to the right of the oil warning light) is the sidestand warning light. You should be able to verify this by deploying and retracting the sidestand. If the switch doesn't work, you will be able to find it just above and behind the stand pivot....it's just a spring-loaded switch with a rubber boot.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Comment

I think I have the answer you need. I own an '82 Honda XL250R in minty condition that was imported from Japan onto the "grey market" in 1997 (those of you who don't know what the social ettiquette and governmental regulations of Japan do to make older small to medium displacement bikes available in wonderful condition should check it out). There is an original equipment largish red warning light mounted on the same bodywork as the ignition switch, near the instruments. It has a Japanese language label on it. I couldn't figure out what it was, and so had my Japanese friend Kazu read it for me. It says "speed warning" or similar. Apparently the Japanese put these on a lot of bikes of that (and other?) vintage, sometimes (always?) accompanied by an audible alert. Kazu believes that home-market Japanese cars are still equipped in similar fashion. There are big fines charged if these are found to be inoperable (Japan has some of the strictest annual government vehicle testing standards in the world). My light would have been unhooked prior to my buying the bike. And you thought the 80 mph speedo was silly!

Comment

Wait a minute - this law looks to be for the greater good of society - silly you say? 8O

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              Wait a minute - this law looks to be for the greater good of society - silly you say? 8O
              Well, you know how I like to take the contrary position in any discussion! If you begin to think I'm generally anti-freedom, you've got to read my marihuana law post in "the seasonal joys of drugs and booze" on this forum (one of the later posts, several by me precede it).

Comment

Working...
              X