Idle Adjustment Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle Adjustment Question

Does the bike ('82 GS850L) have to be at full operating temperature to correctly adjust the idle knob? Since its located in the middle of the carbs, where its pretty freakin' hot when running, wanted to know if I can adjust the screw with engine cold, or if that defeats the purpose. Seems as if I adjust while running, its gonna cost me some knuckle-skin. Also, without having to do trial and error, anyone know which way to turn the knob to LOWER the idle speed?
    Thanks guys,
    Larry

Idle

Ideally, you'll want your idle adjusted to right around 1000 RPM's when the bike is warmed up. Unless your hands are like Fred Flintstone's, you should be able to carefully adjust it after a short spin and get it just right. (I wear a size 7 surgical glove (fairly small) and can do it sitting on the bike with the engine running.)

If you can't, get Wilma Flintstone to do it for you (seriously) or one of your kids....The carbs, themselves, are not hot at all; you just need to be kind of careful where you stick your hands.:-D
    Last edited by chuckycheese; 08-22-2006, 07:57 PM.
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks Chuck..... Any idea if I spin the knob clockwise or counter-clockwise to turn idle down?
      Thanks again,
      Larry

Comment

Cool!!

You made me laugh!!:-D I only wish I were smart enough to put pictures on the forum (I'm old, as you may see if you look at Friday birthdays).

As I recall, forward (clockwise) turning will reduce the idle but I'm not sure about that. It's not important because your "ear pans" will tell you as soon as Wilma starts the rock rolling!! Good luck!!! I feel certain it will work out just fine!
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
          Does the bike ('82 GS850L) have to be at full operating temperature to correctly adjust the idle knob? Since its located in the middle of the carbs, where its pretty freakin' hot when running, wanted to know if I can adjust the screw with engine cold, or if that defeats the purpose. Seems as if I adjust while running, its gonna cost me some knuckle-skin. Also, without having to do trial and error, anyone know which way to turn the knob to LOWER the idle speed?
          Thanks guys,
          Larry
          i like the looks of your bike.I have the same color but in a 650. The knob will turn clockwise to go up and counter clokwise to go down .Up is up and down is down.Get a shop[ rag and double it over and set it on the starter housing then reach in there and you wont burn your hands.If it is hard to turn up just give it some throttle and adjust at the same time.that will raise the throttle linkage off the idle screw and make it easier to turn.You ought to try it on my 650,there is no room at all.......damn japs and there small hands!!!

Comment

Thanks tconroy, will take your advice and try it later after I get home from work.

Comment

GS450L How do I adjust idle?

I even bought a manual for this,but can't figure it out. I see what looks like a screw with a flat head slot, but I don't know what tool in the world with a tiny hand can reach in there. Do I have to remove/move the gas tank? I'm not sure that's even the right screw, but it's between the carbs and I can see the whole thing move when I turn the throttle. I've got to adjust the idle up just a little.

Thanks for any help. I'm a new rider with an 81 GS450L with 3,400 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by zakmeister View Post
                I even bought a manual for this,but can't figure it out. I see what looks like a screw with a flat head slot, but I don't know what tool in the world with a tiny hand can reach in there. Do I have to remove/move the gas tank? I'm not sure that's even the right screw, but it's between the carbs and I can see the whole thing move when I turn the throttle. I've got to adjust the idle up just a little.

Thanks for any help. I'm a new rider with an 81 GS450L with 3,400 miles.
                It the knurled screw in between the carbs.Turn clockwise to up your idle.It should not take much to make a difference.Be carefull cause it is hot in there and you will get burned.Look in the carb section of your book at the parts breakdown and it should say idle adjustment screw.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by romtang View Post
                    Bingo!!!!! thats it.

Comment

Working...
                    X