How to remove Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove Stator

Thank you everyone for your comments on helping me determine the source of my charging problem.

I have the Service Manual on order, but it will take several weeks to arrive. I'd hate to say that I’m a little impatient and would like to take out the stator on my own. I know my way around engines but I have never done work on a bike.
    If anyone knows how to remove the stator from my 1981 GS650G and could possibly provide pictures as well, it would save me from not being able to ride this season at all.
    [-o< [-o<

dunno...

but will be watching to see if someone tells you. I have an '82 GS650G with charging problems myself. Ordered a rectifier that hopefully comes today and solves my problem. Otherwise I guess I'll be replacing the stator as well.

Good luck!

Comment

I do not have mine open presently so there are no pictures. But it’s simple enough.
      Here Goes:
      1. Drain engine oil (the stator and rotor bathe in engine oil to dissipate heat).
      2. Remove starter motor cover bolts and remove the cover.
      3. Remove bolts securing alternator cover (note locations for different bolt lengths).
      4. Remove cover and gasket. Will need some rags for oil drips.
      5. The magnetic field attracts the stator and cover to the rotor internally, DO NOT pry the cover loose with a screwdriver or the sealing surfaces will be screwed-up. Just a strong pull is needed.
      6. The stator is held to the inside of the cover by three screws. Note the wire routing before removal.
      7. Reverse process to re install.
      8. Route the new stator wires correctly.
      9. Make sure the grommet is installed in the notch.
      10. Install a new gasket (smear some grease on both sides of gasket).
      11. Route wires into crankcase opening.
      12. Hold gasket in place when installing.

Hope this helps.

Comment

No need to drain the oil, you will lose very little when removing the cover. Whatever you do don't try this, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-67142.html .

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          No need to drain the oil, you will lose very little when removing the cover. Whatever you do don't try this, http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p/t-67142.html .
          POOF! .....awwww, look at that pretty blue smoke, come see mama!

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
            POOF! .....awwww, look at that pretty blue smoke, come see mama!
            I don't know if Ice ever got around to really trying his tip. He did disappear from the site so maybe he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              I don't know if Ice ever got around to really trying his tip. He did disappear from the site so maybe he did.
              :shock: :shock:
              Now that's funny!

Comment

Working...
              X