Just purchased a GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just purchased a GS850

I recently purchased this bike and I was curious if anyone could tell me if any of the parts are aftermarket. Or any obvious changes to the bike. I paid a bit more than I would have liked to but I am very happy with the bike itself. Also if anyone could reccomend any handle bars for replacement.

Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM. Reason: Edit I realised the model must be a GS850GLT this site rox.

Damn, that thing is nicely cleaned up! :razz: Need my shades 8) !!

any of the parts are aftermarket
    Those mirrors, handle bars I believe are and the straight pipe muffler is as well. Sure there is more but those three jump out to me.

Comment

Definitely a keeper! \\/

I agree about the mirrors and pipes being different, the only other thing I notice is the paint job. Looks good, but it's not stock.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah I guess the guy liked naked ladies. He had one painted on the top of the fuel tank, and the strange heart you see says "Heart Breaker". He also gave me a trunk and of course a naked lady airbrushed on it... Heh. It sure is fun as all hell to ride though. It has 19,000 original miles so I really couldn't say no.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2006, 08:26 PM. Reason: More information

Comment

Appears to be missing the tank badges. Might have interfered with the naked ladies?
          Beautiful bike.

Comment

How do those pipes sound? I had turnouts on my old Yamaha ('76) and it sounded sweet. I've really been tempted to put a set on my GS...

Definitely a nice looking ride!

Where are you in Michigan? I'm in Auburn Hills...

Comment

This is the first bike I've owned so I don't have much to compare the sound to but the pipes are pretty quiet. They almost remind me of a stock crotch rocket but without the zing and a little more grumbling, heh, if that makes any sence. Definately doesn't sound like any bike I've ridden or been around in the past.

I'm in the Livonia area, lately just cruising around Hines park and Telegraph. Still getting used to her.

Comment

It's definitely missing a lot of rust, and cosmetic wear & tear..

You can always add those things yourself though... Congrats, that's a nice looking bike!

-Adrian

Comment

Looks like a 1980 model L. The bars could very well be original, the L models had the high bars, the mirrors are aftermarket, as are the pipes.

1980 tank badges are hard to find, they had additional lining cut into the script, but generic Suzuki badges that will fit the original mountings are still available from your dealer.

Comment

I'm in the Livonia area, lately just cruising around Hines park and Telegraph. Still getting used to her.
                    Shoot, you're just a hop, skip & a jump away from me - I'll have to hunt you down sometime 'cause I'd like to hear those pipes for myself to see if I really want to go that route.

Those bars actually look a lot higher than mine & I'm almost positive my bike is 100% stock. I'll post a pic later for good comparison...

Later!

Comment

Originally posted by Pyloff
                      Yeah I guess the guy liked naked ladies....

\\/ Me too! :shock:

I agree with shamer, the bars look high. Here you will see a couple shots of mine They are stock. Maybe yours are just angled up?
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2006, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Them's stock!

Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

I never realized how much rise these 'L' bars have! On mine, the riser section is perpendicular to the ground. It doesn't look quite as radical as when the riser is parallel to the forks.

Comment

Okay, so here's mine. I'm starting to wonder if mine aren't stock - besides the fact that the height isn't as severe & that the chrome on the handlebars hasn't held up as well as the rest of the bike...

Comment

Mine are identical to shamer's. I don't know for sure, but I think they are stock. Mine have road rash on the right and left from a PO, while he fixed most other damage from the road. They are also appear the same as what I've seen on brochures (although I can't remember where I saw the brochures ).

Comment

Working...
                              X