Chain & sprocket's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain & sprocket's

I have just hit the end of my Chain Adj. So I guess it is time for a new set. just about 20k on the bike 1983 750es I assume that the set was never changed but not positive sould I stay w/ stock sizees or change it for a little more tourqe.

what am I doing wrong to go threw this chain since I have owened it I adj the chain probably twice a year (had the bike for 3 years)? I just noticed shavings up around the front sprocket.[-o< Help

Pat

i would stay with same gearing. make sure you lube the chain often so it lasts longer. i also suggest getting an o-ring chain

Comment

Shavings would suggest the chain is TIGHT and that it needs to be lubed. If you want more torque you will get higher rpm by going to different sized sprockets. I figured my bike spins fast enough so when I change my chain and sprockets, I will go for the same sized front with a smaller rear, to drop the rpm on the highway a little. I don't really seek more power or torque.

Comment

I doesn't sound like your doing anything wrong. Although time isn't the chains enemy, miles and abuse are. Since you don't know how many miles are on it then its hard to tell if its a premature wear out. The fact that it got to the end of the chain adjust means you must be doing something right. I never got any of mine anywhere close to the end.

If you want more torque you could add a tooth in the back. It'll cost you in gas mileage on the highway, but help around town. Mine's still stock so I don't have any idea what you'll get. If you decide its too much you can change it back if you don't put a lot of miles on it.

If you install it yourself and you get an endless you'll have to pull the swing arm. Last time I did mine I got master link o-ring chain. Had to buy a combo breaker, press and riviting tool. About $75.00 ouch.

Comment

I've not put on an endless chain, but wouldn't the only disassembly required be removing the counter shaft cover? I've not looked closely at this part of the bike, the only other thing would be if it needs to inside the frame. Correct me if I'm wrong, Inquiring minds need to know.

Comment

Working...
          X