Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem starting/running when hot, still trying to solve(2 1/2 months)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I got into the carb and went through two and a half cans of carb cleaner. I then used rocks to knock the rust out of the gas tank, then used acid to get the fine rust. After washing tank out, putting carbs back together, and getting everything straight, I cannot get the bike started now.

I went from being able to start it when cold before I cleaned the carb, to not being able to start it at all afterwards. I made sure to turn the petcock to prime(and confirmed the float bowls were full through the drain screws), and I tried starter fluid. No go. I had put in new spark plugs(correctly gapped) while I had the tank off, so I might try to put the old ones back in and see what happens.

Here is a detailed breakdown of how it's not starting:
    1. First time it groaned for 2 seconds and then completely stopped. Would only get the click from the relay
    2. The next day I could get it to crank, but it sounds different than it always has before and it will not catch.

Could the massive amounts of carb cleaner spray that I used while carbs were still on the bike be causing the no-ignition? Is there something else that needs to be primed(a thimble full of gas under each sparkplug?)?

Real tired of watching this thing sit. Thanks for any help.

Comment

You sprayed 2-1/2 cans of carb cleaner through the carbs while they were on the bike? Where did you spray? Hopefully not through the throat of the carbs and into the motor.

If you did spray all that stuff into the motor you are going to have take out the spark plugs and dry out the cylinders. You also may have to dump the oil since the carb cleaner will contaminate it.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Well I had thought about that, and before you posted I had pulled the plugs out and let it air for an hour or so after spraying some compressed air in there.

Today I'm airing for longer, but the oil concerns me. When I get the bike running again, will running with the contaminated oil for awhile to see if the problem is fixed hurt it, or will I just need to change the oil ASAP?

Comment

Sounds like your battery is dead.

I'd dump that oil. Run down to WallyWorld and get 3 bottles of 10w40 Supertech for under $5. Drain, but don't change the filter. If the bike starts run it around town for a bit then change to the oil you intend to normally use and replace the filter with a new one. Cheap engine flush to get rid of the solvents and any dislodged sludge you might have churned up.

Comment

Battery was on a trickle charger for two days and was full strength. Today, after pulling the plugs and letting sit for several hours, changing the oil, and draining the float bowls, I got it to run but by the time I had gone inside to put on boots and gotten back out it had died, and wouldn't restart. Bike was weak this time, so it's back on the charger tonight. Getting a little frustrated. Assuming my coils are bad, where is a good place to get some?

Comment

How old is your battery , most bike batteries only last 2 to 3 years if well maintained. Your whole bike depends on a strong battery, Try a car battery (out of car ,on booster cables )

Comment

Battery is about a year old. Doesn't seem weak, could it cause the engine to suddenly die while running?

Comment

still aint got it to run eh. you can try this. if your battery is weak, take a pair of jumper cables and use an old car battery that is not inside a vehicle and use that too jump start it. I do it and nothing hurts any thing. just dont do it off a regualar battery inside a car or truck.

and when you look at your plugs they are wet now i take it with gas>>>??

Only thing a bikes needs is gas too the plugs and spark too make it turn over. the timing and other stuff can be done once the bikes at least runs somehwhat.

Comment

Working...
                  X