GS450 will not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 will not idle

I have a 1980 GS450 that when started will not idle keeps stalling. Took it for a test ride and bogs down in second gear then takes off and then bogs down again. Any help on what I should check for would be appreciated.

Possible fuel starvation issue due to dirty carbs or if you have a fuel filter on the bike it may be clogged or a petcock failure. Rust in the tank? Been sitting for a while?

Comment

Re:

Its been sitting for about a year. I bought in April and rode it about 350 miles when this started happening

Comment

Check the vacuum line from the carbs to the tank petcock. Without good vacuum you'll starve the carbs.

Comment

my gs400 got the little fuel filter screens in the carbs all clogged up

Comment

Start by cleaning the carbs, go to the garage section of this site and print out all the info on how to clean this carbs, mine had the same problem and a good cleaning did the trick. Besides all the good info on the carb cleaning section I found out (the hard way) that you need to used compress air to clean really good, all the little ports inside the carbs. Get all the gasket and O-rings before you take the carbs apart DO NOT USE the old ones doing this will only mean more work in the long run. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MGS450 View Post
              Start by cleaning the carbs, go to the garage section of this site and print out all the info on how to clean this carbs, mine had the same problem and a good cleaning did the trick. Besides all the good info on the carb cleaning section I found out (the hard way) that you need to used compress air to clean really good, all the little ports inside the carbs. Get all the gasket and O-rings before you take the carbs apart DO NOT USE the old ones doing this will only mean more work in the long run. Good luck
              The O-rings for sure, but both my 450's have been able to reuse the float bowl gaskets.

Comment

Working...
              X