Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlamp for GS450 S?

Yikes!

Some inconsiderate doofus backed into my '81 GS450_S and broke my headlamp - thankfully, the bike didn't fall and as far as I can tell, the headlamp is the only part damaged.

Now, I need to find a new one. I'm not even sure exactly where to go. I went to Checker, and they just gave me a funny look when I asked them if they had a replacement. I looked at JC Whitney, but they had TWO different types of round headlamps, and I don't know which one I need

My question is this - where can I just buy a new headlamp?! I'm so lost, and I'm having to bicycle (ugh) until I can get this fixed! #-o

You're lucky that your bike has a sealed beam headlight bulb which is easily replaceable, and the bulbs can be found just about anywhere. www.alpha-sports.com says that your stock headlight is 12V 50/35W and is available through their site, BUT
    www.bikebandit.com says that your stock headlight is 12V 40/30W so take a look at the bulb specs on the back of the old bulb and replace it accordingly. As long and the bulb is all you need, you should be able to order it online, at you local dealer, or maybe even a local auto parts store.

BTY - Welcome to the site!

Comment

Wow, and I thought my headlamp was stock, I haven't had to replace the light in the S, but my E seems to have had an H4 conversion done to it. I hadn't even looked at my fishe for that until just now

BTW my Suzuki 1980 450E/S fische calls for a 50/35w too.

Comment

Yikes!

I looked at my headlamp, and it says 12V 50/35W.

Can it really be both? Is that highbeam/lobeam, I wonder?

Anyway, thanks for the link. I'll check it out, and hopefully it'll match!

Comment

well if its anything like my '78 gs400, good luck finding a replacement bulb. They made some sort of weird 6 7/8" headlight, and there is no bulb available. I hope you don't have that one

Comment

Originally posted by coolbike View Post
            Yikes!

I looked at my headlamp, and it says 12V 50/35W.

Can it really be both? Is that highbeam/lobeam, I wonder?
            Yes, 50w is the high beam, 35w is the low beam. They are both in the same bulb. If you look at it, you can see 2 elements inside.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaum View Post
              You're lucky that your bike has a sealed beam headlight bulb which is easily replaceable, and the bulbs can be found just about anywhere. www.alpha-sports.com says that your stock headlight is 12V 50/35W and is available through their site, BUT
              www.bikebandit.com says that your stock headlight is 12V 40/30W so take a look at the bulb specs on the back of the old bulb and replace it accordingly. As long and the bulb is all you need, you should be able to order it online, at you local dealer, or maybe even a local auto parts store.

BTY - Welcome to the site!
              How well to headlamps survive shipping? Its one item I'd prefer to pickup. But then again they had to reach the store I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by bgmart450 View Post
                How well to headlamps survive shipping? Its one item I'd prefer to pickup. But then again they had to reach the store I guess...
                Sealed beam bulbs are pretty tough. Think about all the bouncing around it does when it's installed on your bike. I'm sure that if you buy a new bulb from a reputable seller it will ship just fine.

Comment

Working...
                X