Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S for GS1000 timing question

Step two of the timing procedure as written by Dynatek states:

"While holding the rotor in the fully advanced position slowly rotate engine forward until the test light turns on. The right hand advance mark for cylinders 1-4 should align with the fixed mark on the engine case."

Squint as I might, I cannot find a fixed mark on the engine case. Can anyone tell me where to find what I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Jack
    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

On some GS's, previous owners have removed the "fixed" timing plate on the engine case. The "fixed" mark on the engine case is the left edge of the bolt head located at the 12 o'clock position on the breaker plate. The breaker plate has three hold down machine screws/bolts that are located at 4, 8 and 12 o'clock.

Earl

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
    Step two of the timing procedure as written by Dynatek states:

"While holding the rotor in the fully advanced position slowly rotate engine forward until the test light turns on. The right hand advance mark for cylinders 1-4 should align with the fixed mark on the engine case."

Squint as I might, I cannot find a fixed mark on the engine case. Can anyone tell me where to find what I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

Jack
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Right behind the original breaker plate, there should have been a thin metal plate. The bolts that hold the breaker plate on also holds this piece in place. It has a mark on it that indicates TDC.....Its #12 in this diagram from bike banbit http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...SU0053_023.gif

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sure enough, while going through the Zip-loc bags with parts I've taken from the bike I found the old Gerex ignition plate and beneath it a shortened version of the stock timing plate.

Next up, valve clearances. The original owner of my bike, the one who took it to RC Engineering for the Stage Two modification, told me the clearances were .004-.006 in., considerably wider than the stock .001-.003.

Now, Bad Billy B, I know you were a drag racer. Do these numbers sound right to you?

Thanks,

Jack
        1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
          Next up, valve clearances. The original owner of my bike, the one who took it to RC Engineering for the Stage Two modification, told me the clearances were .004-.006 in., considerably wider than the stock .001-.003.

Now, Bad Billy B, I know you were a drag racer. Do these numbers sound right to you?

Thanks,

Jack
          Yes, that is the typical clearance for aftermarket cams.....BadBillyB

Comment

Working...
          X