Stiffening shocks, would this work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stiffening shocks, would this work?

Here’s one for all of you GS Engineers/Mechanics out there.

This may sound like a stupid question but I’m asking anyway. Hopefully I’ll learn something by asking.

As a temporary fix to rear shocks bottoming out when riding two up I thought that this might work. (Keep in mind that I’m no engineer.)

If you were to take a piece of steel rod and weld it between one of the spaces in the shock spring so that it wouldn’t have as much spring action would the net effect be a stiffer spring lessoning the chances of the shock bottoming out?

I know, ideally I should spring (no pun intended) for some $300 Progressives but I thought this might buy me some time.

Steve

You'd definitely increase the chances of breaking the spring by welding or adding spacers in between the coils, but it wouldn't help the ride much.

Progressive shocks are more like $175 - $180 a set, not $300.
    DomainMarket.com sells premium domain names to entrepreneurs, businesses, and nonprofits that want to dominate their online marketplaces and control great brands.

Some here have been adequately and temporarily happy with a set of $80 Emgo cheapies from CRC2. They ain't much, but they're better than the worn out, sagged stockers.
    CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Heh, I guess that's one way of adding preload!

It'll sort of accomplish what you want. Go here for more information and a much better explanation than I could provide of what preload does:

Comment

you can't heat a spring like that unless you can heat treat it again. It'll become brittle and break.

Comment

I preloaded my fork springs with about 1" of 3/4" PVC pipe installed on top of the spring. Now when I stop at a light it does not dive practically to the bottom of travel. It was a little tough getting the fork caps on, but not impossible. I had originally tried 1/2" and 3/4", but the results with 1" were best on my 400.

I agree with the others here, welding springs is a no-no.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses.

I learned something. Don't want to heat those springs.

Comment

Looking for cheap shocks look for HD shocks they are 1/2-1" shorter But will work on a shafty if you change the eye bushings

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                Looking for cheap shocks look for HD shocks they are 1/2-1" shorter But will work on a shafty if you change the eye bushings
                Does anyone know if the eye bushings in my stock shocks would fit in the HD shocks?

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  Progressive shocks are more like $175 - $180 a set, not $300.
                  http://www.mawonline.com/progress.htm
                  How do I figure out the size / model needed for an 82 GS1100?

Comment

look on ebay for a used set. See if you can find a set of air shocks for a GK model. Then you can carry even more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by nert View Post
                      look on ebay for a used set. See if you can find a set of air shocks for a GK model. Then you can carry even more weight.
                      I'll try that.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by West View Post
                        I preloaded my fork springs with about 1" of 3/4" PVC pipe installed on top of the spring. Now when I stop at a light it does not dive practically to the bottom of travel. It was a little tough getting the fork caps on, but not impossible. I had originally tried 1/2" and 3/4", but the results with 1" were best on my 400.

I agree with the others here, welding springs is a no-no.

I've also used PVC spacers in my fork before. I don't use it to add preload but rather I cut off a couple inches of spring and then make a new spacer with the PVC. End result is a higher spring rate because there are less coils. Much better solution than adding preload alone in my opinion.

Ed
                        Last edited by Nessism; 08-25-2006, 10:13 AM.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                        X