What is going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is going on?

Ok, earlier my #1 cylinder was kicking out gas out of my vent tube. I assumed it was my float, but it seemed to have worked itself out. Then, my #1 spark plug stopped working so I replaced it. It was really bad. Looked like it was 10 years old, but it was only 3 weeks old. I ran it for an hour or so and then took out the plug to see what it looks like and it's totally black. I checked my other plugs and they are really black too. So, I think that i'm running really rich. My right exhaust has a blow hole in it and I think that the baffles are almost rusted out. Also, my air filter was really bad so I cleaned it. Could it be that the combination of the bad mufflers and the dirty air filter cause it to run rich or is there something else I need to check. My friend and I are going to clean the carbs and floats again. Any help is appreciated!

I've attached a picture of my hour old plug.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2006, 10:58 PM.

a black plug or sooty is usally too much air/fuel rich mixture. it can be caused by a blocked air fliter. holes in your muffler (not creating the right back pressure it needs). Or leaky intakes. Make sure when you take your carbs apart that your main needle is set too the factory recomended height.

Hope this helps.

Comment

If you air filter was a bad as you say, that certainly could be the whole problem. Try that before you go working on your carbs again.

Comment

Easiest thing would be to clean or replace the air filter first and see how it runs.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
          Easiest thing would be to clean or replace the air filter first and see how it runs.
          Hey all. I was at his place with him yesterday trying to get things sorted. The bike had quit running and in order to get it running I pulled the air filter off and managed to get it to start. Then as it ran I started feeling the exhaust at each cylinder. One cylinder was cold as the others were hot. So, next I pulled the plug on that cylinder and checked it for spark. Nothing. So I pulled another plug and put it into the wire and did get a spark. That's when he went and picked up the new plug.

A couple things that I noticed and thought might need attention. First was that the filter element appeared stock but had a red sticky substance on it. Not sure what that was. (BTW Taka, check here for a new element). And secondly, when we got it firing on all four there was a bit of blue smoke coming out of the left pipe. I'm assuming it's from the cylinder that wasn't firing. Could this be a sign of oil getting passed the rings? And, more importantly, is it okay to ride it this way?

Thanks
          Brad tt

Comment

Your right to get a new element and the right oil that goes with it. Don't use too much. Who knows what the PO originally used?

A little blue smoke could be oil getting past the rings.....or sometimes a little oil leaks down through the valve guides. You could have a stuck ring, it could loosen up on its own or you can help it out by pulling the #1 plug and trying a teaspoon or two of something like marvel mystery oil in there for a day or two to see if that helps.

It shouldn't hurt to run it that way while your checking things out. Eventually you'll want to do a compression test and check valve clearances.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2006, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Thanks Keith. Very thorough. So I've cleaned the element and we'll see how that goes. What should I do with the plugs now? How do I clean them? What should they be gapped at? The guy at the store said they were pre-gapped, but I thought I'd check to make sure.

Comment

Ok, here's an update. I just bought a new air filter element and put it in. I also took all my plugs out and cleaned them with a scuff pad and carb cleaner spray. It seems to ride ok, I think. After all I've been through, I'm just waiting for it to die on me. Now, I'm going to go through all my carbs and floats and get them cleaned out and go from there.

Comment

If you don't have one, I would consider getting a Clymer's book. I have found mine to be a bit confusing at times, but if you apply a little brain power to it, everything seems to come out ok in the end.

I have always heard that blue smoke means oil is getting in there somewhere, so the rings make sense to me anyways. But...I'm not an expert, nor do I pretend to be one on the internet.

Comment

Yea, I saw one at my local shop for $30. Is that a good deal?

Comment

Working...
                    X