No announcement yet.

Cutting off the mufflers on a GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An inline 4 is going to sound like an inline 4. Cutting the mufflers off will only result in having a louder weed wacker. What you need to do is chainsaw two cylinders off and rejoin them at a 60 deg angle to get that V twin sound you so love. I think someone already makes one of those things though. Starts with an "H" I believe. Cant remember what it was though.

Earl

[QUOTE=Acooljt;494541]

Anyway, I'm a Harley kind of guy(is that a taboo word on this board?). Well, I can't stand that weed-wacker sound from those mufflers. I was wondering if these bikes sound any good with the mufflers hacked off?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Acooljt View Post
      I have to inquire, what is the fascination with keeping these bikes bone stock? It's not like they're some kind of rare classic that will be worth lots of money. If it were an old Indian Scout or something I could understand, but it's just an ol Suzuki, nothin special to it.
      The fascination stems from the realization by a good number of GS owners that ours are working motorcycles, functional in nature. We buy them and own them in order to ride them for long distances, and for the long term.

A basically stock GS is an excellent running motorcycle. Most of us don't keep them "bone stock", but slightly modified. Most mods, however, are to enhance good running and ridability. I once had an 850 whose exhaust I replaced with a 4-into-1 Vance and Hines. It was a relatively (for aftermarket) quiet piece, and the bike ran great with it, after a slight main jet mod.

Also, our fascination stems from the desire by a number of motorcyclists to keep a quiet machine, a relatively unobtrusive bike that comes and goes without making an oral statement. The AMA and other motorcycle groups are very conscious these days about motorcycle exhaust noise and the negative effects of loudness.

So, stock bikes, or slightly modified ones, work best in the long run; they're also socially more acceptable. I don't like loud bikes, whether HD's or Japanese 4's.

Comment

Originally posted by Acooljt View Post
        but it's just an ol Suzuki, nothin special to it.
        Obviously, you haven't been bitten by the "bug" that is the motivation for this website. That's O.K., you represent the norm. Harley's for some strange reason are what most Americans believe are far superior to everything else. Why that is, is just as confusing to me as why you like Harleys so much.

When it comes to motorcycles, a lot of us just like these old things better than anything else.

Comment

I have an 850 GL with stock exhaust. The baffles are gone and it has a pretty nice throaty growl now. I'll sell you mine and then pick up the new set I've been eyeing at the local used parts warehouse - brand new set that was taken off a new bike years ago and stored inside.

Comment

Any suggestions as to what exhaust I should replace it with if I do in fact have to change it? I just found out about it last night after work and really didn't want to fiddle with it that late. So I'm not real sure where the leak is coming from yet. Sounds clips would be nice if possible.

Comment

Working...
            X