Stock rim sizes 83 GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock rim sizes 83 GS1100ED

What were the stock widths for this bike?

The front looks like it says 1.85 I swear! Can that be right?

Interesting question. I have the Suzuki Factory Service Manual and all it lists are the tire sizes. No mention of the width of the rims. Hmmm..:?

Comment

Best place to look is on the rim!

If you have an 83 1100E that is :?

Mine says 1.85

Just seems awful skinny to me.

Comment

Hoom, are you riding an 83 1100E enduro?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar View Post
          Best place to look is on the rim!

If you have an 83 1100E that is :?

Mine says 1.85

Just seems awful skinny to me.
          19x1.85
          That's what my front rim say also Mark.
          Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
          2000 Kawasaki Concours
          Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Hoom, are you riding an 83 1100E enduro?
            That is exactly my reaction buddy but it seems that it is correct :?

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
            19x1.85
            That's what my front rim say also Mark.
            Thanks Doug. Looks like that is what it is. Now, to find a wider front rim that fits :mrgreen:

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar View Post
              Thanks Doug. Looks like that is what it is. Now, to find a wider front rim that fits :mrgreen:
              Finding a wider rim that fits is easy. The real trick is finding a one that doesn't lower the bike so much it makes the pipes bottom out. That has been my issue, and after much research, I have decided to stick with the stock rims which are 1.85 in the front and 2.00 in the back.

The best set up I have found is the 86 GSXR rims, which are 18" front and rear, and don't really give you many more tire options than the stock rims.

Going to an even later model GSXR entire front end will allow you to use a 16" rim, you lose a little clearance, but not much. I'm not sure if I have all this info right, so I'd be interested in what you come up with Mark.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Amazing how skinny the tires/wheels were on these bikes, especially as now 600cc bikes come with 180 rears. My '83 GS750 was 2.15 front and 2.5 rear stock and are now long gone.

IIRC, '86-'87 GSXR rims were 18x2.75 front and used a 110 radial, but I don't believe the GSXR rim will work with GS forks and brakes. You would most likely have to swap the entire front.

They do still make radials for the 18's but if you are gonna swap the 17's are the way to go.

Good Luck, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
                1983 GS750ED
                1992 Ducati 900SS

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS View Post
                  Amazing how skinny the tires/wheels were on these bikes, especially as now 600cc bikes come with 180 rears. My '83 GS750 was 2.15 front and 2.5 rear stock and are now long gone.

IIRC, '86-'87 GSXR rims were 18x2.75 front and used a 110 radial, but I don't believe the GSXR rim will work with GS forks and brakes. You would most likely have to swap the entire front.

They do still make radials for the 18's but if you are gonna swap the 17's are the way to go.

Good Luck, Ed.

2005 GSF1200SZ
                  1983 GS750ED
                  1992 Ducati 900SS
                  Ed, do you think the 83 750 front rim would bolt right up on my bike? If so, does it have the same spoke pattern or would I need the rear too? I am only looking to go a little bit wider on the front. If I can fit a 110 on then I am happy. A 120 would be even better but I will not put on tires larger than the rim calls for. I want to go wider without doing it wrong.

I have a 3" rim on the back now and may put on my 3.5" rim both of which have the same spoke pattern. If I do put a 140 on the rear it would be really nice to run something wider than a 100 on the front.

Geoff. I'll keep you in the loop buddy.

Comment

The 18" GSXR rotors are an inch bigger and the bolt pattern for them at the hub is 5 bolts, not the six that ours have. That's about all I know about that issue.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X