Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Pressure light

Hi All,
    I just signed up to this forum. Looks like a good one.
    I recently bought a GS1000G in a box for 2 hundred bucks. It was piece of crap. No paint left on the tank or fenders. Charging system was melted down. Covered with leaves, spyder webs, bird crap and about 30 lbs of New Mexico dirt. It set in someones back yard for several years before it went to the guy that I got it from. Sat in his back yard for a few years. Then I picked it up. It has 41,000 miles on it.
    I have it all cleaned up, painted, put back together and running GREAT. It must have been parked because of the charging system, because after I installed a new stator and regulator/ rectifier fron Electrex, and a new battery, cleaned up every connector that I could find, it seems like it is just fine. Touch the start button and it fires right off.
    This is basically the first motorcycle that I have ever worked on. Always been a car guy. But I guess if it runs on gasoline it is probably about the same, just less wheels.
    I have figured out most everything except for one. Every time that I pull the clutch lever in, a red light comes on on the "dash" that looks like it is labeled "OIL P". I assume that means oil pressure right? What's up with this? I think it has plenty of clean oil in it. Is this light supposed to come on when the clutch is disengaged, or is there something wrong here?
    Any ideas on this out there?

77Bronco

This would be akin to the same problem in a car if you pushed the clutch pedal to shift gears. The clutch disengages, and the engine RPM's slow down, thus reducing the oil pressure in the engine. The same principal would apply in the bike motor. If you are only getting sufficient oil pressure when you increase the RPM's, then it could be a faulty pump, or the motor has enough build-up in it that it is restricting the oil flow. Either one should be addressed.

Comment

No, it is not supposed to come on.
      When you pull in the clutch, it allows you to start the bike (closes an electrical connection). Sounds like this electrical connector is hooked up to that light. Just supposition on my part, but sounds likely.
      And welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike.

Comment

I understand. But the thing will set there and idle all day long without the light coming on. If it were rpm related would it show up the worst while it is idling?

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.........now I understand what your talking about. Yes, it does sound like it is electrical. Oh, by the way, probably shouldn't just let your bike idle all day long. HAHA!!! (I'm slappin my knee all the way....)

Comment

Working...
          X