1978 Gs850 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 Gs850 G

I just got a 78 Gs850 G and need to know what other models or years are compatible with the bike. I need a new rear master cylinder, left handle bar control ( lights, horn, signals), ignition, and side covers. Any info would help. Thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2006, 11:43 PM.

First your bike was made in 78 it is actually a 79GS850GN model first year for the GS850. The turn signal switch- look for something that has a detent on off 77-78-79(smaller models) not a push to operate because chances are the turn signal module is bad, needs to be rewired some to make it manual. Ign should be points, the covers are all the same for the two valve motors thru 81 some differences on newer one
    I believe they will still work Lots of parts on Ebay.. Go to your honda dealer & get some molly grease for the rear wheel adapter The splines should be greased evertime the wheel is off

Comment

actually everything I named is missing. and are you sure it would be a 79? the title to it says 78. This is my first bike so I am learning. Also I dont need to take the rear wheel off for the master cylinder, just need to bolt a new one on. Thank you for the input.

Ok, after readng this I did research on manufacture dates and my title must be wrong. It seems now it makes finding parts a bit easier as lots of things pop up for a 79 Gs850 G. Thank you again.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2006, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JT77 View Post
        and are you sure it would be a 79? the title to it says 78.
        There's no such thing as a 1978 850. I bought a 1999 Dodge Caravan in November, 1998. It was manufactured in 98 as a 99 model.

Same with your 850. It was manufactured in 78 as a 79 model.

Your 1979 GS850 was the Suzuki's first try at a motorcycle with a shaft.

Comment

You might give these guys a call:
          CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

They have lots of parts sitting on shelves that are not listed on their web site. I go there when I need parts for my bikes; they have always been quite helpful.

Comment

ok, I have got it figured out.. I did research last night and was up till 1am trying to reference the bike. I went to the Suzuki dealer and checked the frame number. I have a 1980 GS850GL. Just gonna work with the DMV on the title. Thank you for responding to the post to pass on your knowledge.

So I guess the new question is, what would compatible with this bike? Thanks.

Comment

If you had mentioned, right from the beginning, that you have an "L" model, we would've told you that it had to be 1980 plus. The 79 GS850 was strictly a straight model. The proper term for your bike is GS850GLT. G is for shaft, L is for the chopperized, Harleyesque model, and T is for model year 1980. I'm glad you finally know what you have.

What is compatible with the GS850GLT? A GS1000GLT shares a lot of parts with yours. The mechanical components off the standard GS850GT will interchange with your bike.

The above is very general. Let us know what you need and folks in this forum may be able to tell you in particular what will (may) fit, and what will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                If you had mentioned, right from the beginning, that you have an "L" model, we would've told you that it had to be 1980 plus.

The title said 1978 GS850 G. If the title would have said GL, I would have said GL. I go by the information given and now that I got it straightened everything is on the right track.

As far as the parts to get it on the road, I need a rear master cylinder and the left hand handlebar controls for the turn signal, headlamps, and horn. Anything else is purely cosmetic and I am making small changes to the bike anyways. Side covers would be nice though, dont care about color can always paint them.

Thank you for the input, this helps alot to find the cheapest working parts available.

Comment

Sorry about that. I took for granted you knew the difference between an "L" model and a standard model.

The left-hand control for horn, blinkers, and dimmer switch is pretty much universal. Any unit from a 1980 thru 1984 big shafty such as 850, 1000, or 1100, regular or "L", will fit. I don't know about any others; just telling you what I know.

The rear master cylinder is also universal. Same applications as above.

Side covers I don't know about. Those from regular (non "L") models are completely different and won't fit your "L". Sidecovers from any 80 or 81 GS850GL or GS1000GL will fit.

Comment

Nope this is my first bike. I took a basic riders course and am trying to get this road ready before I get my endorsement added. Should be out on the road hopefully within the next few weeks. I got friends and family that ride, just no one knows anything about these GS bikes. Thanks again.:-D

Comment

Working...
                    X