R. C. Performance exhaust - '79 GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R. C. Performance exhaust - '79 GS1000E

Anyone got info on this pipe? It's a 4 into 1 that was on my bike when I bought it. I tried a search here, and on Google, but didn't get any useful hits. Pics are below. It's working fine, just curious about it...guess I should clean it up a bit!

Thx!
    Chris

RC Engineering original address 16216 So. Main St Gardena Calif rider--Terry Vance Offered a complete enging hopup kit for the GS1000 good for 100 hp at 8500 rpm Original cost of ther pipe $169.95 In it's day you could Ship or drop off your motor and for less than $2K you would have a fire breathing GS1000

Comment

I used to have an RC pipe on my '79 1000E. Decent performance. The thin walled muffler blew through after a few years.
      I went up to either 102.5 or 105 main jets. Can't remember exactly that long ago.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Your clutch cable arm looks funny pointing at about 10:00. Factory is right at 9:00. Seems like it wouldn't have enough room to travel freely like that.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

And the R.C. probably stands for Russ Collins, the great motorcycle drag racer and engine builder.

I spoke with Collins a few weeks ago when researching a GS1000 I recently bought that had been heavily modified by R.C. Engineering back in the late seventies. He's making fuel injectors for racing cars now.

Collins was pleasant, but couldn't remember much about the Stage Two modifications that had been done to my bike. Small wonder, with the number of engines, both motorcycle and car, he's had a hand in pumping up.
          1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

8track just put one on his GS1000. I had the bike jetted for a Kerker and to the best of my knowledge it bolted right up and no jetting modifications were needed?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar View Post
              8track just put one on his GS1000. I had the bike jetted for a Kerker and to the best of my knowledge it bolted right up and no jetting modifications were needed?

Correct. Runs just fine. :-D

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone! As far as I know, the bike hasn't been rejetted, but I'll check with the PO. My house is almost 6000' above sea level here in Denver, and it does seem to be running a little rich. The bike has lived in Colorado since new, so maybe it was rejetted at the dealer when bought new.

Keith, the bike shifts fine in gears 2-5, but does clunk a bit going in to first from neutral if I'm stopped...rolling downshifts are fairly smooth. In fact, since I changed the oil to Rotella, it's shifting much smoother through all the gears, except for the first gear clunk. I'll move the arm this weekend to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!
                Chris

Comment

Peppers, FWIW Mine was already re-jetted, and had pods when I put the RC exhaust on it. All I did was swap the Kerker for the RC.

Comment

Working...
                  X