Turnsignal Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turnsignal Problem

I doubt if any of you have had this problem but I am posting it to see if any of you can figure a remedy. My GS1000L is running great at the moment, only problem is that the turnsignals work fine with the engine off and just started at idle, but once underway they are dead as a doorknob. I am running an entirely replaced electrical system. Replaced with new, stator, Electrex R-10 regulator/rec. dyna 3 ignition CDI, Dyna Coils, new plug wires etc. the engine idles at 1000 rpm normal. revs normal. All lights and switches work and also normal. The voltage output about 1700 rpm is 14.8 and remains that way all the way up the rpm range. The only wires running to the battery is the red one coming out of the electrex. all contacts on bullet connectors have been thoroughly cleaned, plenty of quality grounds. I am stumped.

sounds like a classic bad connection, very carefully open the turnsignal switch and check the condition of the contacts there and work your way back from there.

Comment

just a guess Bad speed sensor for turn signals. what year is the bike??

Comment

Not the relay.

1979 model GS1000L. I am going to run this by my electrican friend when he get in from the rig at the end of the month. I am thinking that the voltage is too high above idle and is somehow disabling the blinker module. As I said it works great till the engine speed goes up.

Comment

Re: Not the relay.

I once had a coil that would cut out at high rpm, but worked perfectly as soon as throttle was reduced. Turned out it was vibration disrupting the contact on a harness wire. If vibration increases noticably with rpm, it may be just the switch contacts or a loose connector.

Earl

Originally posted by Michael Falke
          1979 model GS1000L. I am going to run this by my electrican friend when he get in from the rig at the end of the month. I am thinking that the voltage is too high above idle and is somehow disabling the blinker module. As I said it works great till the engine speed goes up.
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

thanks earl i wll check on that

Comment

dont think it is a high voltage problem, if the voltage is reaching a point that would cause a problem , it would burn out bulbs or possibly the control module. (if equiped) !!!!! idleing and engine off the voltage is relativly low, so the turn signal amp draw will be higher than when the rpm's are up, at low speed the draw is high enough for the problem contact to pass power.

your problem will be in one of two places, the contacts in the turn signal switch, or at the plug for the turnsignal switch harness, witch is under the fuel tank right above the engine, this plug gets very hot next to the engine and the plastic breaks down, causing all kinds of problems.

Comment

Got the problem resolved. parted the connection under the tank and cleaned the contacts, rerouted the cable and shielded it from the engine with a heavy plastic piece to keep the heat away from it. Cranked it up and ran it for several minutes and no glitches, signals worked great every time. Road it around and no problems. One thing i managed to do was use a high temp soldering gun and soldered all bullet connectors thoroughly. cleaned all connections using a dremel tool and brush. then tie wrapped and secured all wires.

Comment

Working...
                X