Bushings for front calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bushings for front calipers

Another front caliper question for the 78 GS1000E.

I've noticed my brake pads are worn on an angle (see attachemnt), rather than flat across. Is this normal or is the caliper holder (part that axles go through and mounts to fork) in need of being rebushed, as I have read about?

If rebushing is required, what material is used as the bushing? Brass, aluminum?

What goes on the axles for grease, if any?

This weekend, riding, maybe...if I have brakes.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2006, 02:15 PM. Reason: added attachment

Forgot to mention

I forgot to mention that both right and left calipers have the same wear pattern on the pads.

I didn't notice any probelms with the brakes hanging up one my one 10 minute ride I've taken, so hopefully it is just the way pads wear on these bikes.

Comment

I assume you have sliding calipers as I do. The symptoms you describe could be from worn bushings. The bolts they slide on are very hard, the bushings are not. You would just have to take it apart and see. From what I understand, if they are the same bushings as on my bike they are cast aluminum.

By axle grease I assume you mean for the front and rear axles on your bike. Any wheel bearing grease should do fine. Don't pile it on though, just a very light coat is good enough.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2006, 11:19 PM.

Comment

bolts, axles, etc.

Suzuki calls the caliper slider bolts "axles." I assume Permatex Brake Caliper grease will be good.

I'll check for slop on the sliding calipers. If they don't bind, I'll just keep going until they do. I'll start calling in favors at the machine shop then, or winter, whichever comes first.

Comment

Originally posted by Surly View Post
          Suzuki calls the caliper slider bolts "axles." I assume Permatex Brake Caliper grease will be good.

I'll check for slop on the sliding calipers. If they don't bind, I'll just keep going until they do. I'll start calling in favors at the machine shop then, or winter, whichever comes first.
          Sorry for the mix-up. I used a synthetic brake caliper grease on mine (can't remember what it was) but what you have should work good.

Comment

Working...
          X