IT LIVES!!! er, sort of.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT LIVES!!! er, sort of.....

I finished the world's longest head rebuild, (about a year ), and just flashed up the old 750 today. Small problem, the gas line tee that goes into 2 and 3 carbs leaks! :roll: There are no o-rings it per say, it looks like the rubber is formed onto the tee. I checked Alpha Sports, (computer is closer than the Suzuki shop), and their part number is 13685-45020, which is "not available." Is there a cheap fix for this, or do I have to darken the doors of the dreaded Suzuki dealer and be told it's "discontinued"? Anyone?
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

You may be able to get one of the brass T's from a different bike and use Herr Barr's o-rings to seal it up. It might take a little searching and/or a knowledgeable parts guy, but its a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
      I finished the world's longest head rebuild, (about a year ), and just flashed up the old 750 today. Small problem, the gas line tee that goes into 2 and 3 carbs leaks! :roll: There are no o-rings it per say, it looks like the rubber is formed onto the tee. I checked Alpha Sports, (computer is closer than the Suzuki shop), and their part number is 13685-45020, which is "not available." Is there a cheap fix for this, or do I have to darken the doors of the dreaded Suzuki dealer and be told it's "discontinued"? Anyone?
      Kevin,

Not saying that it WILL work, but try leaving the T there were it is a day or two, if it's not leaking too badly. Have had that happen a few times on some bikes myself when the carbs have been disassembled long enough for the carb-to-carb fittings to dry out.. It almost always solved itself overnight, after the rubberized part slowly swells back up when surrounded with fuel.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011 View Post
        Kevin,

Not saying that it WILL work, but try leaving the T there were it is a day or two, if it's not leaking too badly. Have had that happen a few times on some bikes myself when the carbs have been disassembled long enough for the carb-to-carb fittings to dry out.. It almost always solved itself overnight, after the rubberized part slowly swells back up when surrounded with fuel.

No Need To Talk Dirty!:razz:
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011 View Post
          Kevin,

I thought of that, but it was leaking enough to not make that an option. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. :-D
          Kevin

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,

Comment

I think your only options are:

- find a fitting that uses the o-rings - they're pretty rare
            - machine one youself - not easy
            - try cutting off the sharp corner of the openings on the carbs where the fitting goes in. Then put an o-ring on the fitting (over the rubber sleeve) so that when it is assembled the o-ring is squeezed against the opening in the carb. Several folks have had success with that. Not a good explanation, I realize...these may help:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

- Another option is to take the tee off and just soak it (and the sleeve) in gas and hope it swells sufficiently...

Good luck...

Comment

Thanks, Paul! Looks like Sandy has the fix. I think I'll give that a try. Gotta fix my damn sundeck first though....
              Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
                Kevin, I thought I put this in the tips and tricks section but could not find it? Anyway, what you can do is take a sharp Exacto blade and cut the ribbed areas out of the t just like you were trying to free o-rings. You may need to use the blade then to scrape and clean up the area under where those rises where but now you can install o-rings onto the tube. I used some from a carb rebuild kit I bought so I am not sure what exact size to use but most likely some of the o-rings Robert Barr sells would work. Anyway, I did this and if fixed the problem permanently and now if and when they ever wear out I can just install new o-rings. Of course, those carbs are gone and the bike has different carbs now but it held up for years like that. Hope that helps.

Comment

Another plan! Thanks Hommie! :-D
                  Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar View Post
                    Kevin, I thought I put this in the tips and tricks section but could not find it? Anyway, what you can do is take a sharp Exacto blade and cut the ribbed areas out of the t just like you were trying to free o-rings. You may need to use the blade then to scrape and clean up the area under where those rises where but now you can install o-rings onto the tube. I used some from a carb rebuild kit I bought so I am not sure what exact size to use but most likely some of the o-rings Robert Barr sells would work. Anyway, I did this and if fixed the problem permanently and now if and when they ever wear out I can just install new o-rings. Of course, those carbs are gone and the bike has different carbs now but it held up for years like that. Hope that helps.
                    Sheer genius, Hoom!

(Which means I never thought of that... \\/ )
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                    X