Sweet Goo of Plenty! Front sprocket cover foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet Goo of Plenty! Front sprocket cover foam

Hey guys. Did my research enough to find out that the foam that is currenty under an inch of goop is for vibration and noise deadening. However, cleaning this stuff off has become a nightmare (can't use my new super duper metal degreaser on foam and simple green isn't cutting it).

What I wasn't able to discern from my research is what the majority says... can I trash it, or should I save it. I only found one post where someone said that it made a difference after removing it. The foam's cracked and undoubtedly soaking up water (the thing weighs a ton for its size) but there is no replacement available from the microfiche. Any advice welcome! Thanks!

I scraped mine out and tried to run it without the foam but there was a lot of noise from the counter shaft and chain . So, I filled the cover with "Great Stuff" and it is still working after 4 years

Comment

Hey that's an idea! I'd never heard about "Great Stuff" but I'm reading about it now! I got most of the grime off the original foam by soaking it in Gunk engine degreaser. Probably tore up the foam a bit but it's better than it was. Still has a thin layer of grease though. I'm going to see how much of the water I can get to drain and as a last resort I'll go buy the great stuff can.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I cleaned mine off by scraping away what I could and then cleaning it in a parts cleaner. Cleaned it right up like new!

Comment

Working...
        X