78 gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000

Hello,I am new to this group.I am also new to the suzuki gs1000 line.I used to play a lot with the suzuki 2 strokes.Anyway I have a question.I just picked up a 78 gs 1000 dohc,11,000 miles.This bike is stock and clean.It had bad gas in the tank.The previous owner did not keep the gas good.I drained the tank,fresh gas and some stabilizer.Runs great.I am a little concerned about the throttle.It is stiff,shouldn't it recoil?I have to push it back manually.Is there a way to loosen the slides without taking the tank and the carbs off?Any help would be appreciated.Looking forward to this group.I was a frquent visitor on yahoo suzuki clubs.Thank you,katmando.

The more likely culprit is your throttle cables. I would first lube them and retry. If you need info on how to lube them, let us know. Also, your bike has the push/pull throttle arrangement, so you have 2 cables to deal with.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2006, 09:35 AM.

Comment

78 gs1000

Kool,Yes,I could use a little info on how to lube the cables.I have no manuals for this bike,thank you,katmando.

Comment

Either disconnect the cable, one at a time and shoot some wd-40 thru it to clean it. Wd-40 is more of a cleaner than lube.
        You want something tha twil lactually lube.
        You can but specific cable lube at a dealer.
        Some even have a special tool to connect to the cable and
        power or puch the fluid into the cable(s) to get the lube in there.
        I used to use chain lube.........now I use chain wax so it won't work
        on the cables.

While you're at it do the clutch cable and check the ends for any wear, like if you see the braided line or the cable starting to tear, replace it
        before it breaks in the middle of _________________ :arrow: ( insert far away name of place here)
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

After you lube the cables good replace the return spring on the carbs. This is where your problem is anyway. I myself like to make it so light that the throttle will only barely move back on it's own but that is my taste. For the average rider I would recommend putting on the lightest spring you can that still returns the throttle for you. This of course is after lubing your cables good. You can find a large assortment of suitable springs at mostly any hardware store.

The stock spring on those carbs was strong enough to tow an 18 wheeler with I believe. Over time, they only get tighter.

Put on a lighter spring and let us know how you make out. Your wrist will thank you
          Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2006, 10:38 AM.

Comment

As a lubricant I use 3in1 oil. It is light enough to travel down the length of the cable and lubricate it all. WD-40 is a cleaner only, and will not provide the required lubrication. Position your cable straight up in the air after removing it from the throttle. Then drip a few drops down the cable at a time. It will take a while this way, but requires only patience, no special tools.

Comment

I second Hoomie's recomendation.

Comment

78 gs1000

Thanks to all for the response,You guys are great.I figured it was the cable after kool sent me response.I took the tank of and lubed the ---- out of every moving part.Greased the throttle and put some spray lube down the throttle cable.This loosened it up right away.After sitting a day.It seemed to stiff again.When I move the throttle,there is a noise under the tank and I noticed rubber scrapped of the cable.Think it is getting hung up on tank.I will check this out.I think Hoom is also right on about the spring.Thanks again,looking forward to more from group.I just picked up this bike and fall is right around the corner.Don't imagine I will be riding much.Gonna be a long winter,katmando.

Comment

Working...
                X