Help with selecting an 1100 4v head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with selecting an 1100 4v head

With the availability of 1150 cylinder heads getting scarce, and more expensive, i'm wanting to save the stock 1150 head for my streetbike, and find a suitable 1100 head to modify for a race motor.
    I was recently given a 4v head, casting "S-5", and told it was off an 1100. Can anyone tell me what this head is?
    I've seen references to "early" and "late" 1100 4v heads, but nothing that describes exactly what the differences are (other than 20 and 24 bolt...which i assume are the number of valve cover bolts). Does anyone know which (casting #) 1100 4v head is considered to be the best..and give specifics as to why?
    Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi
    whats your name. I am wondering what work you are doing on your engine at this point please be specific.

Comment

Building a 1327 (13.5-1) race only motor. Bottom end is already done..falicon crank and rods, big block, h.d. studs, 5 spd. auto trans and slider clutch.
      The plan is to have the head ported, angle milled .02 or so, larger valves, bronze guides and seats, with .400ish lift cams. Possibly adding nitrous, depending which class we decide to run. Just don't want to sacrifice another 1150 head and make it unusable for a streetbike.
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by GS1197TX
        Building a 1327 (13.5-1) race only motor. Bottom end is already done..falicon crank and rods, big block, h.d. studs, 5 spd. auto trans and slider clutch.
        The plan is to have the head ported, angle milled .02 or so, larger valves, bronze guides and seats, with .400ish lift cams. Possibly adding nitrous, depending which class we decide to run. Just don't want to sacrifice another 1150 head and make it unusable for a streetbike.
        Mike
        --oh i see. Isnt the 1150 head better because the intake ports are not part of the actual head itself--just for one reason

Comment

The 1150 head has the intake ports cast in just as the 1100 does. The design is basically the same.
          I have no hands on knowledge about 1100 4v heads, and haven't been able to find any specific references (valve/port/combustion chamber size, casting #'s..etc.) to help with choosing a head.

Comment

Mike: take look at the general discussion forum. There is a topic about differences between 82/82 1100s and you'll find a lot of info.

Steve

Comment

Steve,
              The only references i could find were for gas tanks. But thanks anyway.
              Mike

Comment

Mike... this thread--> http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...pic.php?t=5478

Jim

Comment

Jim,
                  Getting a little closer, but still not what i'm trying to find out. The search continues.
                  Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X