Stock Exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Exhausts

I searched but didn't exactly find what I was looking for. I want to run a stock exhaust on my 79 GS1000 or at least one that flows as close to stock as possible. I think the stock exhaust I have on there now (its rusted though in many spots and the baffles are rusted out its to loud) has so many holes it dosen't flow the way it needs to for the bike to run properly at all RPMs. Any suggestions as to what I can run on there what I need to look for on ebay or out of the Dennis Kirk or JC Whitney Catalogue?

Thanks for any help.

The stock exhaust is available, but it's EXPENSIVE!!!!! You might want to look for a 4 into 2 exhaust. MAC makes one that fits your bike. They're available from many vendors. The only problem is that some have reported that the chrome is prone to rust.

Terry

Comment

What do ya'll think of the ones in the link below. I'm unsure if they will fit yet but they are within' my price range and look stock. The header on the bike is stillin awesome shape just the baffles are rusted out of the exhaust.

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

Comment

those will work, just cut the old one off where it is welded to the header, there are two tubes, cut just past the weld and the old muffler will slide off and leave a pipe about two inches long. you can then clamp the new megaphone on to this inner pipe. Now you say it has pods, has it been rejetted for the pods, that will also cause poor running. Replace the megaphones and then check the plugs, or you could always put the stock airbox back on if it hasn't been rejetted.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
          those will work, just cut the old one off where it is welded to the header, there are two tubes, cut just past the weld and the old muffler will slide off and leave a pipe about two inches long. you can then clamp the new megaphone on to this inner pipe. Now you say it has pods, has it been rejetted for the pods, that will also cause poor running. Replace the megaphones and then check the plugs, or you could always put the stock airbox back on if it hasn't been rejetted.

Maybe my greatgrandfather put an aftermarket exhaust on there when he owned it becuase the megaphones are not welded to the head pipe they are clamped on. In fact the clamps are coming apart from corrosion.

Yes the carbs were redone throughout by wiredgeorge and he rejeted them for pods on his testbed bike

Comment

You might want to check these out: http://www.denniskirkinc.com/jsp/pro...?skuId=4401038

These fit the 850(manufacturer#1231) but the manufacturer also lists a part # 1232 on their website that fits your bike. You might want to call Kirk and see if they now stock these or call Leovince USA at 1-888-610-4242 and see if they can get you a set for your GS1000.

I put a set on my 79' 850 and like them a lot. They look and sound nice, similar to stock, and were easy to install. Your headpipes will have to be good as they are reused. The chrome and finish is first class.

I didn't want the MAC turnouts as I don't like the look and they are noisy.

GS1000S
            Last edited by GS1000S; 08-28-2006, 01:44 PM.
            78' GS1000EC
            79' GS850GN
            79' GS1000N
            79' GS1000EN
            81' GS1100EX

Comment

Like I said I want them to be as stock looking as possible because we are trying to restore it to almost original (minus the huge CHiPs fairing and the 4 ft. high passanger backrest that used to be on it).

THose are a little steep for me so I may just go with the JCWhitney parts. They look like the stock megaphones and I think an aftermarket exhaust may have been put on it by my greatgrandfather as the megaphones that are on it now are clamped and someone said eariler I believe that the stockers were welded in place. The stock headpipes are still in good shape no rust spots and are solid.

Comment

Oh, of course I guess I would be remiss if I didn't mention checking out your local harley dealer to see if they have some mufflers on the scrap heap they will let you have for next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                  Oh, of course I guess I would be remiss if I didn't mention checking out your local harley dealer to see if they have some mufflers on the scrap heap they will let you have for next to nothing.

I'll have to check that out.

Comment

Working...
                  X