Cleaning the Rad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the Rad

Can't stop cleaning my new ride. I know it can't stay pristine forever and will one day have that dreaded first ding or chip, but for right now it's still perfect. All my cleaning is done by hand and the one problem I can see is the rad. It's already got a few bugs in it and I know how delicate it is so the question goes out. Is there any way of gently cleaning the rad that will insure I don't bend the fins or remove paint? Picky, picky, picky, I know but for right now I choose to be.

Radiator? What radiator? I don't see no radiator here...
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

This web magazine is dedicated to the classic, air-cooled 1976-1987 GS models
      :shock: :-D
      Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
      2000 Kawasaki Concours
      Please wear ATGATT

Comment

All kidding aside, I'm sure some Bandit owners could help you here
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Or banditalley.com would have some insight.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Yep. Even tho I had previously asked if I could still be part of this site after I traded in the gs750 for a new bandit, with answers like that maybe it's time I said 'So long, GSR and found a Bandit site. I mean, who needs the aggro?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketjock View Post
              Yep. Even tho I had previously asked if I could still be part of this site after I traded in the gs750 for a new bandit, with answers like that maybe it's time I said 'So long, GSR and found a Bandit site. I mean, who needs the aggro?

Aw, we're only messing with ya\\/
              Nothing personal.
              But I myself have no ideas 8-[
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Kind of easy to set you off isn't it? I read Crag's reply and it was just kidding around to me. It doesn't matter what bike you have. I see people asking help on how to fix cars...appliances...you name it.
                As for being picky, I understand completely and I've been that way with my nearly 27 year old bike since day one. I'm actually pickier now.
                As for your radiator, without seeing it, I assume the fins are very delicate and close together? To remove dried bugs, you need a little patience. Soak them awhile first and then a little moderate pressure hose water should rinse them away. Works on my car radiators, as long as you soak them enough.
                Otherwise, you need something thin, like maybe a hack saw blade wrapped in electrical tape to poke the little buggers out? Like I say, without seeing the spaces we're talking about, it's hard to make a suggestion. Toothbrush? Toothpicks?
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

A) Lighten. Up.

B) A soft brush and plenty of water from the back side if possible.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                    Kind of easy to set you off isn't it? I read Crag's reply and it was just kidding around to me. It doesn't matter what bike you have. I see people asking help on how to fix cars...appliances...you name it.
                    As for being picky, I understand completely and I've been that way with my nearly 27 year old bike since day one. I'm actually pickier now.
                    As for your radiator, without seeing it, I assume the fins are very delicate and close together? To remove dried bugs, you need a little patience. Soak them awhile first and then a little moderate pressure hose water should rinse them away. Works on my car radiators, as long as you soak them enough.
                    Otherwise, you need something thin, like maybe a hack saw blade wrapped in electrical tape to poke the little buggers out? Like I say, without seeing the spaces we're talking about, it's hard to make a suggestion. Toothbrush? Toothpicks?
                    That's just plain not possible!:shock: :shock: :-D
                    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                    1982 GS1100E
                    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Working...
                    X