Oil comming out of oil breather tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil comming out of oil breather tube

As some of you already know, I'm using a GS 750cc TSCC engine on my buggy. This weekend I noticed that oil was coming out of the breather tube and into my air box. This only happened when the revs were high, and making a tight turn (but not leaned over like the engine would be on a bike). I'm wondering if you guys run a seperate oil breather vent/filter/cap system instead of venting into the air box? Obviously, I need a better setup for the breater tube.

Here is what it looks like when oil comes out of the breather tube, and gets ingested into the intake

Large (15mb) high quality video from yesterday:

http://www.bbssystem.com/buggy/buggy3_video.wmv

Small (5mb) low quality video from yesturday:

http://www.bbssystem.com/buggy/buggy3_video_small.wmv

-Adrian

Hmmmmmm

Different bikes put out different amounts. I owned a Harley FXRS for 10 years and it expelled quite a bit (Harley's like to get rid of oil any way that they can).

My good old '80 GS750L doesn't seem to 'kick out' much of anything. Make sure your oil level is within specifications. I never fill mine all the way....I keep it at right between the lines on the sight glass.:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Maybe I just had too much oil in the engine. Before I installed the motor, I drained all of the oil, installed a new oil filter, and drained the oil cooler because I needed to make custom hoses for the inlet/outlet piping. I put 4-quarts of oil in which is what the service manual said it needed for a full oil change + filter. Maybe that was just a little too much oil.

-Adrian

Comment

On my 1980 1100ET after I rode 200 miles, I found my sight glass wasn't showing any oil. I topped it off at gas station.

20 miles later the entire westbound lanes of I-90 was engulfed in a huge cloud of black smoke.

I discovered my breather hose was dumping oil into the airbox. It filled enough to suck back through the intake tract and out the exhaust.

I routed the breather hose into a oil quart containter. I went through a quart of oil every 20 miles. I stopped 10 times, but made it back home and tore the motor down.

The ringland area between the top ring and 2nd ring had collapsed on #2 and #3 cylinder pistons.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
        X