dyna "s" and the ignition cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna "s" and the ignition cover

Years ago I recieved a gift certificate for a local performance shop and had them install the dyna "s" ign. on my 1150. The dyna ign did not fit inside the stock ign cover so they drilled a hole in it for the bolt on the end of the shaft to protrude from. This not only looks silly but I have to worry about water getting in there. I have epoxied covers for the hole when going on trips but it looks dumb. I think I was told that a gs 1000 points or ign cover will fit and bolt right up .Is this true? any other model ign. covers fit? Any other solutions ?.....................skip

Hey Skip,

I don't know if any other covers would fit or not.

Have you considered getting a stock cover and making a spacer to clear the bolt? You could cut the old cover to make the spacer. Or if the cover's shape dosen't allow for that, you could take the cover to a machinist and have him make one. Get a second gasket and some longer screws and your done.

If your going to have any more work done on your bike, I'd be a little pickier about who I use. Don't go back to those Jo-Jo's who screwed up your cover.

Steve

Comment

I'm wondering why it didn't clear in the 1st place. I used a Dyna S several years ago and there were no clearance problems.
      Are you certain the cover is for an 1150? They may have also not used the right bolt, spacer..etc.

Comment

As for not using those Jo jo's again I never will as he scewed up a buddy of mine bike also. The cover is stock and the bolt did rub on the inside. I never looked into a shorter bolt because the one in it is the one that came with it. I have another cover off my parts 1150 and will check that cover to see if it rubs and look minto a shorter bolt. I appreciate all the help...................skip

Comment

Skip, Wheelie has the best approach. yes it may cost a little to have the old cover cut to make it into a spacer but any quality machine shop can do that. Longer screws are easy to find. We have local nut and bolt shops that can match nearly anything. When done nobody will be able to tell you have a fix on it unless you point it out.

Comment

Doesn't sound right that the unit came with a bolt that did not fit. Anyway, if the fit is close - you might grind the head on the bolt down a bit for clearance. If that works it would be your cheapest, easiest route.

Comment

Working...
            X