Please help-Can't find carb rebuild kit for 78' GS400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help-Can't find carb rebuild kit for 78' GS400

I've done a lot of searching. Please help if you can.

Can you get by with just new orings? Or do you have damaged/missing parts?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I've been taking the carbs on and off a few times trying to get them clean and keep them clean. I'm not missing any parts. But I've decided to be thorough this time and clean and seal the tank, fix the petcock and rebuild the carb. If you think I can get by without rebuilding the carb and just using the o-rings please let me know and I'll just do that. Thanks for the help.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by k_garton_76 View Post
        I've been taking the carbs on and off a few times trying to get them clean and keep them clean. I'm not missing any parts. But I've decided to be thorough this time and clean and seal the tank, fix the petcock and rebuild the carb. If you think I can get by without rebuilding the carb and just using the o-rings please let me know and I'll just do that. Thanks for the help.

Ken
        Contact Robert Barr www.cycleorings.com and see if he has an oring kit for your bike. Typically, the internal parts of a carb don't wear out, but one should replace the orings and gaskets when taking them apart and cleaning them.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I looked around when I started my rebuild job and did not find any kits for the BS34's on the GS400.

I polished the float valve seats with a bit of rag on a drill bit & brasso, they don't leak. The screens on the top of the valves were still OK, just needed cleaning. There is a guy who has been trying to sell a pair of valves on E-bay for months, I think they are still available.

The air screw O-rings were shot, I found some at a hardware store that fit.

The float bowl gaskets on mine were OK, but I believe that many float bowl gaskets from various Mikuni carbs (BS series) will fit, also available on E-bay. If yours don't leak, then they are OK.

I had a torn slide diaphragm, I bought a triplet of carbs off a Yamaha XS750 (BS34, with some minor differences) and the slides fit. I also used one of the needle jet O-rings out of the yamaha carbs, one of mine had been munged on installation, it seems.

The float bowl drain plugs are unusual, they are very large, but some O-rings that fit were also available at a HW store - just make sure you get butyl rubber or viton O-rings, so they will withstand the gasoline.

Hope some of this info helps.

Comment

All the information I've got is a great help. Thanks. I ordered the standard bs o-ring set. I hope this will work.

Ken

Comment

The float bowl gaskets are available from z1enterprises, if you need them.

Comment

Robert Barr from the O-Ring site said to ask the experts here if the o-ring kit will fit the carbs on my 1978 GS400. Please, let me know. Thanks.
                Ken

Comment

I've got one website for ya:

www.wgcarbs.com

He rebuilt the Carbs on the GS1000 and I have to say it is the best money I have spent on that bike since we started working on it. The bike runs like it's fuel injected. Hit the starter and it fires right up with no problems what so ever. I was amazed how good the carbs looked. They looked liek they just came off a bike that rolled off the factory floor probably cleaner than that even.

Comment

Hey devil dog. I was discharged from the Corps about five years ago. I'm in college now, so I'm on a super-tight budget. Going to have to do it myself.

Comment

welp if you come across some extra money it is money well spent.

Comment

Working...
                      X