well this sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well this sucks

Okay, what a bad time I am having, my laptop was stolen, my home pc is screwed up by a virus, and now I broke an exhaust bolt. I read in these forums of PBblast. I forgot who it was, but he said that he sprayed the bolts for 3 days leading up to their extraction. I did so on the remaining bolts and like butter all three came out. Now, on my remaining broken bolt, it did not have enough stud to work with. I tried to make a groove with a dremmel as to take it out with a flat head skrewdriver, nothing. I tried to turn it with a hammer and chisel, nothing. So,.... I bought a new set of drill bits. And drilled the f'er out. I got it to where I saw threads, and I could not get the peices out. Whats worse, I actually DRILLED the threads out. I swear, someone shoot me now. Life could be worse, but this just sucks. I know my computer situation is shot..... But could anyone give me some advise in regards to my GS? I dont have enough money to pay someone to change my cylinder heads, so could I salvage my threadless exhaust bolt hole somehow?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM. Reason: did not put a good description in subject line

Go to your local True Value or similar hardware store and talk to someone about a metric helicoil insert. You'll need to buy a tap & die kit to re-tread the hole. OR, you might be able to just carefully drill out the remaining threads and tap the hole to fit the next size bigger bolt.

Comment

Yeah, if you got as far as drilling the bolt out (that's the most time consuming and annoying part) then the heli-coil should be a no-brainer. You're lucky it wasn't one of the bolt holes which are impossible to drill out with the head still on the bike. Just follow the instructions carefully and read my other posts (and other people's as well) on this subject. I've done this more times than I care to remember. Proceed with care and it should work out fine.

Comment

Autozone sells a heli-coil clone kit that has the tap included....
        Works well, I've done a dozen 6mm heli-coils on the dragbike...

Bob T.
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I did 3 or 4 heli-coils on the 750 and they were 8mm bolts. The damn kit cost me $30, but at least it worked like a charm. I had a few where the frame blocked the head, but all I had to do was remove the motor mounts and jack up one side of the engine with a small pnematic jack (wooden plank between jack head and oil pan). This tilted the motor enought for me to get a straight shot at the broken stud.

good luck-
          J
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

If you already have a tap set you can call a company called EZ Lock.They are somewhere in the L.A. area if I recall correctly, they make thread inserts that are similar to helicoils. I got their info from a search on the web when I ruined the spark plug hole for my GS1000.To top off the fact of ruining the hole I also drilled it out too large for a standard insert,however they make an oversized insert for the same size plug. I founr it very easy to use. They sent me a single insert for free. It was just what the Dr. ordered, however as I said earlier you have to have a tap set to use with it. As everybody else said drilling the hole is the hardest part but make sure you have the right size hole to go with whatever method you decide to use as it is fairly critical for the tap. Good luck

Comment

There's not a lot of meat around the bolt holes on the GS450 head so be careful when drilling the head for an insert. I bought a used off ebay when restoring my 450 and the exhaust bolt threads were stripped. Worse yet was that some bonehead drilled out the bolts off center which rendered the head junk because there was not enough room left to repair the threads.

Good luck.

Ed
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If he's on a budget, just tap it out to the next size bigger bolt, cost of a tap $.99 new stud and nut and washer $.20. Problem solved for a buck and a quarter.

Comment

Working...
                X