'78 GS550E clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS550E clutch issue

Lately, my clutch lever seems to be a bit loose. The clutch doesn't start to engage until I let go of the lever about 3/4 of the way. The cable isn't frayed and I don't feel any slippage. Is there a way to make the clutch engage sooner, perhaps by tightening it?

Well, if you make the clutch engage sooner, it will make the lever seem looser. As there will be more slack. Yes, you can get the clutch to engage closer to the bar.

There are two ways of doing it. And it depends on how much adjustment space you have. The adjuster that's on the lever perch is probally the best way of taking care of it. What you need to do there, is screw it IN, and that'll do it for you.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

So I should fiddle with the screw on the lever perch? To give it less slack, which way would I turn it?

I'm concerned about this because it's loose enough where I can stall when pulling out from a stop if I'm not careful.

Comment

Well where do you want the clutch to engage? Further out or closer to the bar. If you screw the adjust "in" it will make the clutch engage closer to the bar. if you screw it out, it will engage further out.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
        X