GS1000 charging problem and rectifier Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 charging problem and rectifier Q's

Hello All, New here and need your collective help.

Bike is a 1978 GS1000E. Stored for the last three years. Cleaned and dusted, rear brakes and master cylinder repaired among other things.

Problem is the charging system. I have switched the rectifier and regulator to a regulated rectifier and am a little stumped about the correct wiring.
    This will be the third unit instaled, first two were used from a local "old moto go to die" yard. At a hundred bucks, I want to make sure the new one is sorted out right the first time.

Looking at the wiring diagram in the back of "Clymer", I see that the two wires that were left out of the mix by the last shop to work on the bike were, 1. green/white running from the generator to the head light control switch and 2. the red/white from the rectifier to the head light control switch. Green/white is loose from it's solder in the switch control on the handel bars at this time and one of the rocker switch retaining screws is striped, would be nice not to go there.

As wired now, The three yellow wires from the new generator all go to the old regulated rectifier with the red/hot going to the battery, fuse box and the starter relay.

Two bad/used reg/rectifiers in a row?, and have I lost my high beam lighting?

Thanks for any help, I can be emailed at Retiredrigger@hotmail.com , Got any sailboat questions, maybe I can return the favor. Biggeorge

Check this out. :-D

Comment

I think the intent by Suzuki was to not allow all the current from the alternator into the R/R unless the headlight was on.

You can hook all three stator leads to the R/R as long as you abide by the original purpose - keep the headlight on to absorb some of the current.

Comment

Thanks for the help, BG

Comment

Working...
        X