Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you use silicone gasket instead of the oem gasket on valve cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can you use silicone gasket instead of the oem gasket on valve cover?

I had to remove my valve cover today to install the lil chrome end pieces sadly the gasket ripped in one spot my question is can you use silicone gasket instead of the oem gasket on valve cover?

No, you must have a gasket.

In your predicament I might use a VERY SMALL amount of silicone sealer to attempt to repair the old gasket. It might at least hold until you can order a new one. Don't use a coating thicker than you can see through -- you don't want silicone globs loose inside your engine.

Does http://www.realgaskets.com make a gasket for your valve cover? These things are The Answer for valve covers.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I've never had one off yet, are they (the gaskets) supposed to be re-usable? Same for side covers too?

Comment

Do not reuse the gaskets.

Comment

I had "crack" in my CHead gasket (squirting oil on to plugs 1&2) that I used some of that gasket in a tube stuff to seal until the gasket got replaced. It worked but there again I did not push the motor too hard.
          So as a temp repair ok but long term I don't think so.

Comment

Ill just wait untill i can order a new gasket i dont wanna run the risk of it leaking oil its just not worth it.

Comment

You can re-use an OEM valve cover gasket a couple of times if it's of fairly recent vintage. Just coat it with light grease or oil before installing, and it'll come right off the next time you need to check the valve clearances.

An original gasket, or an ancient gasket that sticks, requires replacement.

A Real Gasket silicone valve cover gasket can be washed with dish soap and water, patted dry, and re-used forever. Make sure you get the breather cover gasket, too.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'm a little confused ... why would you remove the valve cover gasket to replace the chrome end pieces? They just unscrew and pop off (which is why they often get lost ... we forget to snug up the screws regularly). Am I misunderstanding what it is you replaced?

Now, regarding the valve cover gaskets, in general the best solution is to use new gaskets. Having said that, a number of Chicagoland GS'rs are using "Realgaskets" (silicone) and have been extremely happy with their performance. If you go this route you have to be VERY careful not to overtighten the bolts or the gaskets won't work properly.

Also, regarding "Form-a-gasket" or (gasket in a tube) as Plasterdog called it, I have used this sort of silicone gasket material very successfully on my GS550 and gone years without any problems. The key is to properly apply it. You want to use it VERY sparingly (so it doesn't "ooze" into the engine before hardening) and only gently tighten the valve cover bolts "finger snug." After twenty four hours go back and retighten slightly for a good reliable seal. This works nicely if you take your time and do it right.

Some people have argued that you'll get silicone in the engine and clog it up. I've NEVER heard of this happening when the product was used properly. Frankly I think it's hogwash invented by people who know nothing about silicone products ... once the product cures it's NOT going to peel or break off into the motor, regardless of how violently the oil might squirt against it.

Regards,

Comment

I reuse the top cover gasket if it's in good shape. I just put a little bit, and I do mean a LITTLE bit of silicone on the gasket. Works fine. 8)
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                    I'm a little confused ... why would you remove the valve cover gasket to replace the chrome end pieces? They just unscrew and pop off (which is why they often get lost ... we forget to snug up the screws regularly). Am I misunderstanding what it is you replaced?

Not on the 650's Steve. He probably has a 650. You have to remove to valve cover to get to the screws for the cam end covers. Pretty stupid huh?

Comment

Yes i have a 650e i tried to get them on without removing the cover even tried to make my own tool thatb would bend up in there but no luck i hadda take it off.

I might just make my own gasket for it i have done this many times in the past on quads and dirtbikes i restore and they work great,i allready made my own gasket for the cover that goes over the ignition on the side of the motor,i just hate to pay 30 bucks for a gasket lol

Comment

I had 2 failed attempts using the OEM Suzuki V/C gasket to seal up. I ended up buying the Veserah gasket. A far better gasket IMO as far as sealing. I also used some Three Bond 1211 sealant on both surfaces of the gasket, and I have a tight, perfect seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                          I had 2 failed attempts using the OEM Suzuki V/C gasket to seal up. I ended up buying the Veserah gasket. A far better gasket IMO as far as sealing. I also used some Three Bond 1211 sealant on both surfaces of the gasket, and I have a tight, perfect seal.
                          Ironically, I'm told that Vesreh MAKES the OEM gaskets for many companies, as well as clutch parts, etc... When I replaced the clutch on my 1100G I was told that Vesrah was the OEM provider. Works great, by the way!

Regards,

Comment

I've been nearly flogged for saying so, but I happen to think Vesrah gaskets are higher quality than OEM Suzuki. Better design, materials and fit in my experience.

There are some "Athena" brand gaskets out there on eBay. I bought a set way back when, and I wasn't very happy with them.

I've purchased a few Suzuki gaskets, like the valve cover and case covers, and I was pretty disappointed. They were basically cardboard and quite fragile. The Vesrah stuff has a more "plastic" feel to it, seals well, and is tough enough to re-use.

CRC2 sells individual Vesrah valve cover and case gaskets, BTW:
                            CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              I've been nearly flogged for saying so, but I happen to think Vesrah gaskets are higher quality than OEM Suzuki. Better design, materials and fit in my experience.

There are some "Athena" brand gaskets out there on eBay. I bought a set way back when, and I wasn't very happy with them.

I've purchased a few Suzuki gaskets, like the valve cover and case covers, and I was pretty disappointed. They were basically cardboard and quite fragile. The Vesrah stuff has a more "plastic" feel to it, seals well, and is tough enough to re-use.

CRC2 sells individual Vesrah valve cover and case gaskets, BTW:
                              http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
                              The same is true about the quality of their brake pads. Better than OEM and I preffer them to the EBC pads too.

Comment

Working...
                              X