Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I identify and aftermarket header for 1978 GS750E ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I identify and aftermarket header for 1978 GS750E ?

My baffle blew out while I was riding on some curvy roads and I could not find it in the ditch.
    It is flat black exhaust and is a one piece system.
    It is a 4-1 system
    It has I should say had a single screw or bolt holding the baffle in located about an inch from the tip on the bottom.
    It does not allow for the changing of the oil filter without removing the header.
    I can't seem to find any writing to indicate a specific manufacturer.
    The center stand had to be removed to install the exhaust.
    I am not sure where to post a picture. Somebody else has to have one also. If someone can tell me where to post a picture I can do it.[/img]

you might have a Kerker Exhaust system. They restrict access to the oil filter cap and drain plug. Look for kerker stamped on the tab where the muffler mounts to the frame.

Comment

IF the muffler end tapers out in 'sections' so to speak, its a Kerker or an old Winning performance pipe, if the end is pretty much the same diameter with no apparent taper outward then its probably an old Yoshimura. These pipes tuck very close to the framework.

Actually, find the yoshimura GS1000 post; its got a couple good shots of a yoshi pipe...

Comment

This could be the exhaust

Page 4 of the article shows the side view of a red bike. This looks like my exhaust. Does anyone know where there might be some kind of ID on this exhaust ?

Comment

Does this look like it?

If it does - it's a Yoshimura. This is a pic of my bike before the teardown. Notice the Konis. Has progressive up front too.

Comment

I'll bet you have the Yosh system if you figure that the picture's match pretty much what you have. I don't remember Kerker making a KR series pipe for 1979 and down, so you can pretty much rule them out. I don't know if you will find a replacement baffle for it though. Seems Yosh has a cut-off of some sorts for parts availability; 10 or 12 years old sounds about right. Put a post on parts wanted and see what happens.Good luck!

Comment

I have the same looking exhaust on my 78 gs750. it it normal for the front and rear section to come apart? the rear pipe carries the same diameter all the way back. I cant see any stampings on it at all. The 4 into 1 collecter stacks 2 on 2 just like the aforementioned picture. The exhaust has a slight leak where the two parts come together and was just wondering if this part is worth fixing. I do still have the baffle and it is held in by a single allen head bolt on the bottom of the pipe near the end. The baffle is original also. I may be able to get a pic up if anyone is interested....(i can get a camera but will need help posting the pic).

Mark

1978 gs750
              31, XXX km
              slightly modified 8-valve engine (Custom oil filler cap!!)
              Possible Yoshi exahust?!

Comment

Is the exhuast outlet approximatelty 3" on your system?

I measures and the outlet is 3" maybe 2 9/16". From looking at the pictures I would say I have the Yosh exhaust. Now I just need a baffle. Otherwise I am going to have to get a Jardin Exhaust the 4 into 1.

Comment

Two choices here on getting a baffle. Shop ebay for a broken down Yoshi system to scrounge the baffle or - if you want I can remove mine and take some pics and measurements and send them to you. You could have one made. Not sure how much that would cost though. Just a suggestion.

One note - my exhaust has a nice Yoshimura name plate on it. If yours is a Yoshi it should either have one or a place where it was. It should be near the end of the exhaust on the top outboard surface (hard not to see). I can post pics of that also if you need.

Comment

Can somebody identify the header on the bike below? My 1100 has one on it. It allows for the oil filter to be changed without any trouble and the collector is on the right hand side of the oil plug. Right about there the header ends and I've got an unknown slip-on. Oh yeah, are these headers any good for power?

Thanks, Steve

Comment

I'm actually not bad at IDing pipes,believe it or not, but your pic is the wrong side for an accurate answer. That's a GSX-R engine if I'm not mistaken. Could be a Wolf, Hindle, Kerker K series, supersport V&H, Mac, the list goes on. You can get at your oil drain so it's a "street" system. Could also be the front half of any of these pipes with an F1 slipon. Any pics of your pipe Steve from the curb side of the bike??

Comment

Jon:

Actually, that isn't my bike. I was just looking at pictures and I noticed this bike has the exact same header for a different engine.
                        The end of collector comes out at about 2.5 or 3" round but I don't have a picture of it. The pipe shows evidence of a decal near the end which tells me it may be a Star or V&H. The baffle is held in by a single bolt going through the side of the pipe and the bike is quite quiet.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                        X