Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New fork springs, new fork oil, no dampening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fork springs, new fork oil, no dampening?

I just put in new Progressive Suspension fork springs and fresh fork oil on my '80 GS1000. Took her for a ride and it handles worse than ever, bumpy and jumpy. I took the forks off, re-checked the oil level. It's 15 wt spectro fork oil at 5 1/2 inches from the top of the fork tube with the fork fully compressed (as per the instruction sheet that came with them). There seems to be no rebound dampening on either fork. I push down on the upper tube and release and it springs up quickly with no dampening. What gives here?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2006, 08:44 PM.

DOH!! Fixed it! I had accidentally refilled the forks with straight Dexron III ATF. I forgot I had mis-labeled/mis-filled the squirt bottle a while ago. I found the 15 wt fork oil and all is well. ATF is just too light weight.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up!

I couldn't begin to imagine what sort of exotic problem you might have had, so I was keeping an eye on this one.

On my bike's high-mileage forks, I've started mixing in about 10% "motor honey" to thicken up the 15W fork oil. I'm heavy and I ride fast, and it works great. Normal people with less fork wear, weight, and/or speed will be fine with straight 15W, but it's a trick worth knowing.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I am using 60% 30wt motor oil and 40% atf - I am heavy and ride hard, and it seems to be somewhere about right. I could perhaps go a little heavier, but not much more.

Comment

And 100% ATF is a recipe for a great pair of pogo sticks! I'm sure it helped clean out the forks though.

Comment

if you want more dampening why not just get 20 or 25 weight fork oil. isn't fork oil formulated to keep froth at minimun, more froth less dampening right?

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
            X