ignorant newbie nneds tool info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignorant newbie nneds tool info

So... the '79 GS425 is going to be parted out... since my bike bud works weekdays and is super busy and I work weekends, I figured it would be better to bring the bike here and I do the parting out myself. Plus I figure I'll learn tons from taking it apart. I'm not entirely brand new to wrenching, but know nothing compared to you guys.

So... my question:

I have the original bike tool kit and some basic wrenches and stuff, WD-40, etc. Anything else I should have on hand to make life easier? Once I'm into a project, I get really annoyed if I have to drop everything to go out and pick something up. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2006, 02:08 AM.

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
    So... the '79 GS425 is going to be parted out... since my bike bud works weekdays and is super busy and I work weekends, I figured it would be better to bring the bike here and I do the parting out myself. Plus I figure I'll learn tons from taking it apart. I'm not entirely brand new to wrenching, but know nothing compared to you guys.

So... my question:

I have the original bike tool kit and some basic wrenches and stuff, WD-40, etc. Anything else I should have on hand to make life easier? Once I'm into a project, I get really annoyed if I have to drop everything to go out and pick something up. Any suggestions? Thanks!

In my (and others) opinion the factory tool kit is to get you off the side of the road. Maybe. Any repeated usage of the soft metal tools will reduce them (and the fasteners) to slag pretty fast. A full set of metric wrenches (8mm to 19mm) and a 3/8's drive metric socket set should do for starters. If you have one there should be a list of tools needed in the service manual. HTH!

N_L

Comment

2 slabs of beer
      1/2 lb cheese
      1 lb preferred sausage
      Carton of smokes
      something else to smoke...

ohhh.... and a swear jar - you'll be rich at the end of it ...\\/

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
        2 slabs of beer
        1/2 lb cheese
        1 lb preferred sausage
        Carton of smokes
        something else to smoke...

ohhh.... and a swear jar - you'll be rich at the end of it ...\\/

Slab o beer? Dats a knew won.

Comment

slab=flat or 24 cans.
          A good set of sockets 6 point sockets to go with that 3/8" ratchet. An impact driver because everyone of those frickin' philips head fastners will be stuck. :shock: Oh yeah, a hammer, many hammers, 1lb 2lb 4lb 10lb you get the idea, to hit that impact driver

Comment

Miss Fab, sorry you've decided to give up on the bike.:-?

I'd not disassemble a thing until you see what the interest level is for parts. The bike as a whole, is far easier to move.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post

I'd not disassemble a thing until you see what the interest level is for parts. The bike as a whole, is far easier to move.
              I agree, but practice taking things off and putting them back on.

I know I'l lget flamed, but when Sears has a sale on 100 or 150 tools and chest, go for it.
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post

Ah - good thinking. Who knows... if I don't think I'm in over my head, I might try and fix it myself. At minimum, like KGB suggested, I'll practice taking stuff off and putting them back on.

Thanks for all the help, guys! I think I already have a couple slabs of beer around, so I'm off to a good start!

Comment

Once I'm into a project, I get really annoyed if I have to drop everything to go out and pick something up. Any suggestions? Thanks!
                  Someone mentioned an impact driver. That will be essential. And be prepared to be annoyed. Its a part of the joy.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                    Someone mentioned an impact driver. That will be essential. And be prepared to be annoyed. Its a part of the joy.
                    lol... thanks... i have a feeling I'll be quoting an old mechanic friend: "OOOOHHHH, what ails ya??? Friga@frk$arachn%" quite a bit.

Comment

BTW... do you guys prefer battery, pneumatic or hammer powered impact drivers? I have an air compressor, but not sure if it could handle real pneumatic tools. just curious about everyone's preferences. I'd rather buy right the first time!

Comment

I believe the impact driver Mark is refering to is the hammer driven kind like this:

Impact Driver

Bob T.
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

BTW... do you guys prefer battery, pneumatic or hammer powered impact drivers? I have an air compressor, but not sure if it could handle real pneumatic tools. just curious about everyone's preferences. I'd rather buy right the first time!
                          I dunno about anyone else, but when it came time to get the phillips screws out of my intake boots, I didn't have the room inside the frame to use my hammer style impact. There was just no room to swing a hammer. I used a pneumatic jobbie instead and was finished in 30 seconds.

Comment

The impact driver linked to is the one I have used for 20 some years. The best choice, IMO. I also recommend looking for a sale a Sears. You can't beat Craftsman tools for the combination of price, quality, and availability. If you're going to disassemble your old bike to part it out, buy a can of PB Blaster, and look for sales on big cans of WD-40. I know a lot of people think WD-40 is crap, but I swear by it for cleaning dirty, greasy, old parts. As a lubricant, it is what it is, too light for long-term lubrication, but better than nothing as an assembly lube.
                            JP
                            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                            1992 Concours
                            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                            2007 FJR

Comment

Craftsman tools are great, but their quality is slipping and prices increasing. They are still relatively good buys though. You should also look at Husky brand tools from Home Depot. They are about as good as craftsmen and they have the same unconditional guarantee.

As fas as tools go. 6 point sockets will beat 12 point sockets anyday when your trying to remove a stuck bolt. An impact driver is your best friend. And you can never have too much light! I have a 4 foot long, 2 tube flourescent light over my workspace, and a drop light, and an led flashlight that straps on your head like a miner's light. That one is super handy when you have to look under the bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X