GSXR Rectifier retrofit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR Rectifier retrofit

Well I burned up an Electrix regulator/rectifier in 2 years and was mighty disappointed. I took it apart and it appears that it wasn't from an overload but a poor surface mount solder job. Oh well what to do, what to do...

Check ebay and look for any 5 wire regulator/rectifier. Low and behold the GSXR (1100 in this case) from 01-03 is a five wire unit! It has 3 black wires, one black with red and one black with white.

To retrofit this to my 85 GS550E was easy....GS wiring was 3 yellows, one red and one black and white.

Black/White is ground on the RR and the GS
    Black/Red is batter power on RR and the GS is Red
    Black on the RR is stator and on the GS is Yellow

The connector was different in my case but the terminals were the same. I just removed the terminals from the connector and put them in the GS connector. The only difference was the ground wire which I changed the end to a bullet terminal since the GS is a 4 pin connector. I also ran a secondary ground from the battery (-) post to the RR mounting bolt.

It was a little bit bigger but that is easily cured with a hacksaw and file. I cute one corner off the RR (just the finned area) so it would fit in the original location.

The RR cost me $10 + 10.50 shipping on ebay for a total cost of 20.50! I just went to Mt St Helens and back with -0- issues!

Seems like a winner to me!

Kenny

I've got a 5 wire unit from late model CBR's. Makes more sense than using 25 tear old honda R/R's. Good info.

Comment

i did the same thing a couple of weeks back, and it is working like a charm.

Comment

Hello .. I went to ebay and took a chance on a cheap 2006 gsxr600 r/r. It has seven wires (appears two each ground and hot). Any advice on putting this on a 1982 GS300L (no laughing) ? As a backup I also bought an SH232 -12 9.3 from an old Honda.

10/03/06 put the gsxr600 r/r on this past weekend .. working well 300 miles later. ..
        Last edited by Guest; 10-03-2006, 09:20 PM. Reason: Follow up

Comment

Working...
        X