Oil Light and Kick Stand Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Light and Kick Stand Light

Well my morning did not start off great.
    Got ready to ride to work and noticed the oil and the kick stand light was on. Checked the kick stand and it was up and then revved up the engine and both lights went off. Went to idle both came back on.
    Parked the bike and then I noticed a hell of a oil leak. Did not have time to investigate because I Had to get to work.

My question is: Should both the oil and the kick stand light be on when there is low oil pressure? Sounds stupid I know but I have never had this problem before. It is a 1983 GS1100L

Thanks in advance

Charlie
    gs1100L

Might sound stupid, but did your oil leak get onto the kick stand sensor? Might just need cleaned out with electrical cleaner.

Comment

Well I went home pulled the oil filter cap put a new o-ring in filled it full of oil fired it up and guess what. The oil light and the kick stand light went off. Well i went to look for leaks and sure enough oil pouring from the oil filter cap. Went to shut it down and the oil and kick stand light was on.

Does anyone have a oil Filter cover for a 83 GS1100GL? It is the one with three bolt holes.

Also got my manual out and looked at the scematics and sure enough if the oil light comes on so does the kick stand light.

Thanks In Advance

Comment

LOL, well that is interesting to know! Guess they figure if one idiot light is good, then two would be better!

Comment

Flat Out Motorcycles microfiche shows it available for $18.69. I just bought a load of NOS parts from them. Great prices and received eveything within 7 days of ordering. I'd give them a try.

10-2CAP, ENGINE OIL FILTER
          16512-45D00 (replaces 16512-44410)
          1$18.69
          Speak to Chris at either 317-890-9110 or 317-881-6686

Comment

Thanks for the site. I was looking at Bike Bandit and theres is about 5 bucks more. Hoping to find one at a junk yard so I can ride over the weekend.

Comment

Got the oil cover here at a salvage yard in mansfield. Paid 30 bucks but thats about the same as if i would have bought it online after shipping.
              They have quite a few GS bikes there. The name of the place is Metro Cycle on Bussiness 287 in mansfield.
              They do not have a website or take anything except cash.

Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
              X