1980 1100l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1100l

I finaly got my bike back together. took it for a short ride came home and pulled the plugs. Everyone of them was white. I went through the carbs again, and i'm still getting the same results. I have a vance & hines header and k&n pods, on it. I took the main jets up 4 sizes. Any ideas. Thanks for the help. Dan :twisted:

Have you adjusted the needle at all?

Comment

If the needles dont have notches in them to allow you to raise them, use tiny washers to get the needle up a bit. it is a snap job and usually can be done while carbs are on the bike

Comment

The needle is for making partial throttle adjustments 'after' you have the correct main jets. The correct main yets are selected with full throttle runs. That is the first thing you ahve to do. Once you get the correct mains - then raise or lower the needles to get part throttle mixture.

Comment

I have talked to a couple of shops that seem to think I went high enough on the mains. The petcock lever is broken off, but i have an in-line filter so i can see it has fuel. The vacuum line is on. Someone else said the valves maybe to tight , and need adjusting. The bike ran real strong though, and i noticed that i only blued the #1&2 pipes on the header. One more thing when i ran the bike on the highway it stumbled and only ran on two cyl. Then after i let it sit and changed the plugs it was ok, and could make it home no problem, it almost felt like it vapor locked . Thanks again Dan :roll:

Comment

The place to start is to talk to people about what sizes to use on your main jets. You did that. Now if you want to verify it - u need some full throttle runs and then read the plugs. It's up to you though.

Comment

Re: 1980 1100l

You could try balancing the carbs at a higher vacum level.
              That will make it run a little righer. I would also double check for an intake vacum leak.

Earl

Originally posted by 1980gs1100l
              I finaly got my bike back together. took it for a short ride came home and pulled the plugs. Everyone of them was white. I went through the carbs again, and i'm still getting the same results. I have a vance & hines header and k&n pods, on it. I took the main jets up 4 sizes. Any ideas. Thanks for the help. Dan :twisted:
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You could try balancing the carbs at a higher vacum level.
                That will make it run a little righer
                I'm about to do some mods that will require rejetting, is it a good idea to have the carbs balanced at the highest vacum before adjusting the jets?

Comment

Anytime you are adjusting jets you must have the carbs syncronized first.

Comment

What's the technique for syncing the carbs? I know you have to have the special tool, and that you hook it into a vacuum tube on the carbs. Do you have to run the engine at certain rpms, certain throttle positions, etc.?

Comment

I'm curious about this "balancing the carbs to a higher vacuum level" comment. Only 3 of the carbs are adjustable and they use the non-adjustable one for their baseline for synchronizing. At a fixed RPM (my 1100 calls for 1,750 RPM for synchronizing), there is no way to increase or decrease the vacuum reading and still have the carbs synched. Or am I misunderstanding (happens all the time, actually) the comment?

Comment

I'm curious about this "balancing the carbs to a higher vacuum level" comment. Only 3 of the carbs are adjustable and they use the non-adjustable one for their baseline for synchronizing. At a fixed RPM (my 1100 calls for 1,750 RPM for synchronizing), there is no way to increase or decrease the vacuum reading and still have the carbs synched. Or am I misunderstanding (happens all the time, actually) the comment?
                        Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. So I guess "maximum" is what ever carb 3 is at. :roll:

Comment

Working...
                        X