Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE: Gs650e owners Rare (seat/frame Photos and discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Gs650e owners Rare (seat/frame Photos and discussion)

Originally posted by t3rmin
    Well I'm trying to figure out what my options are for seats. Some PO removed the stock seat and rear tailpiece and ground off the seat brackets from the frame.

You wouldn't be able to take a picture of your 650 seat-area frame with the seat off for me, would you? I'm unsure what it was like originally and whether I have any hope of getting a stock seat to mount properly.

Here is one picture of the rear latch:

The frame actually extends up and is where the latch is bolted on.

Here is another of the latch:

This is a little more of an overhead shot with the frame and rear latch:

Here is a picture of where the latch connects to the pan of the seat:

TBC....

Continued:

Standoffs on the seat frame to support it from breaking the latch:

And finally, here is a picture of the top of the seat:

Let me know if you have any more questions, or need closer photos.

Amos

Comment

Thanks so much for those pictures, I really appreciate it!

Arrgghhh! I'm missing that whole raised tail crossmember in the back that's welded to the frame (on which the latch is mounted). Also missing the brackets where it looks like the side arms of the plastic tailpiece bolt (on top of the frame, around the middle of the seat area).

Those bits have been completely ground off the frame on my bike and the original seat and rear body stuff is completely gone. All that's left is the dull black plastic fender with a thin, small aftermarket seat tacked on. The taillight wiring is routed UNDER the fender, whereas I can see stock must have been over the fender, under the seat.

It looks like it'd be pretty easy to rig up a place to bolt the side arms of the rear plastic tailpiece. But in order to get that raised rear latch-holding crossmember, it'd have to be cut off a donor bike and welded on mine while still preserving the angle and elevation, which sounds tricky.

Is there any hope for me having a decent seat? Ideas, anyone?

*EDIT* I'd actually started a thread on this same topic previously. Sorry for the dup. Somebody with the power please feel free to delete it:
      Seat brackets ground off my frame -- looking for pictures of stock
      Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2006, 11:48 AM.

Comment

PM Skreemer (Steve) and Nerobro (Greg), they're roomates. They've got a basement full of assorted 550's and 650's, although I think they may only have newer models ('85, '86). There's a chance they might have wrecked frame with possible donar material, but I'm not positive ... haven't seen the bikes - just heard about 'em.

Regards and good luck!,

Comment

Thanks. It's mostly acedemic at this point, though. I expect I won't be riding much during the winter, and I definitely won't be riding two-up until my wife gives birth (and I get my full endorsement). Two-up is my main reason for wanting a stock seat, since the rear part of this aftermarket seat looks very uncomfortable, and I'd like to try to fit a sissy bar. This bike may be a bit small for that anyway (the both of us compress those springs right to the ground!), but think it'll be a good learner for me at least.

Comment

Working...
          X