Tire Mounting Lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Mounting Lube?

OK, I've looked at some of the tire mounting posts, and still have a Q.: do you need to lube the beads, and if so, what with? I know the guys at the tire shops (for cars) swab something on there, but I don't know what.

It's (past) time to change out the original Bridgestones on my '83 850, and I picked up some nice IRC Durotours and a tire iron set (two) from Bike Bandit a few weeks ago, but haven't made the time to do the job yet.

bead lube its fleet farm comes in a quart container, its really gooey. I use it and it I feel its neccessary. Farm and fleet or fleet farm.

brand name is...Camel 12-090 Tire Bead Sealer Non Flammable
    Schrder Bridge\port
    \Dixon Ill 61021
    Contains methylene and Trichloretheryne whoo hoo can you say sniff sniff. lol j/k

Comment

You can also get a rubber lube called RU-Glyde (think that's how they spell it) from NAPA. That's what we used at the gas station back in the day.

Comment

In the shop I we just use plain dish soap for lubing the tires. Granted they are trailer tires & we have a tire machine but it does the job.

Comment

A glycerin soap (like Murphy's Oil Soap) and water will do a good job.

Comment

NAPA auto parts stores sell tire mounting lube. Ru-Glyde is the top of the line, and it's about $14 for a gallon lifetime supply. They also sell a cheaper tire mounting lube for about $7 or $8 a gallon that also works just fine.

Personally, I don't see the point of fooling around with possibly dangerous or corrosive homemade substitutes.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              NAPA auto parts stores sell tire mounting lube. Ru-Glyde is the top of the line, and it's about $14 for a gallon lifetime supply. They also sell a cheaper tire mounting lube for about $7 or $8 a gallon that also works just fine.

Personally, I don't see the point of fooling around with possibly dangerous or corrosive homemade substitutes.
              The "top of the line" Ru-Glyde is 85-90% Water, 5-15% Potassium Vegetable Oil Soap, and 1-5% Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze, to prevent freezing). Your basic soap and water. Potassium soap is soft soap used in some liquid hand soap and shaving creams.

Other types of soap commonly used for mounting tires are not dangerous or corrosive, at least not any more than Ru-Glyde.

See Soap Chemistry for an interesting explanation of soap.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
                The "top of the line" Ru-Glyde is 85-90% Water, 5-15% Potassium Vegetable Oil Soap, and 1-5% Ethylene Glycol (antifreeze, to prevent freezing). Your basic soap and water. Potassium soap is soft soap used in some liquid hand soap and shaving creams.

Other types of soap commonly used for mounting tires are not dangerous or corrosive, at least not any more than Ru-Glyde.

See Soap Chemistry for an interesting explanation of soap.
                back in my commercial tire mounting days we used a commercial tire mounting lubricant, it came in gallon jugs.
                it was just average ordinary pink liquid hand soap, without the perfume.
                I actually preferred to use it to wash my hands as it did a better job than the soap we had in the wash room.

Comment

You guys are probably going to make fun of me again, But KY is non corrosive, dilutes with water and works well on those days the task turns out to be a F'in Beech.
                  :-)

Earl
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

oh lord, I can't wait to AstroGlide my tires! hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      You guys are probably going to make fun of me again, But KY is non corrosive, dilutes with water and works well on those days the task turns out to be a F'in Beech.
                      :-)

Earl
                      I certainly hope so :mrgreen: !!

I think walking up to the counter with a gallon of Ru-Glyde would be easier to expain than with a gallon of K-Y :shock: ! !

Comment

Originally posted by wazz
                        If using soap and water, you may want to mark your tires. I understand a tire may actually slip on the rim during a hard launch.

That's where the specific tire mounting goo comes into play.

-greg
                        Maybe you missed it, but the "specific tire mounting goo" is soap and water.

Comment

TY for the answers. I thought I'd heard something about soap and water, but I was wondering about corrosion using something like that. I guess there's a certain amount of moisture inside there anyway, in the form of water vapor in the air (why we've got rusty gas tanks I guess). I'm not sure how the pressure affects it condensing out, but I imagine it does once in a while. I think I've got some of that Murphy's, but I might end up springing for the real stuff anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
                            TY for the answers. I thought I'd heard something about soap and water, but I was wondering about corrosion using something like that. I guess there's a certain amount of moisture inside there anyway, in the form of water vapor in the air (why we've got rusty gas tanks I guess). I'm not sure how the pressure affects it condensing out, but I imagine it does once in a while. I think I've got some of that Murphy's, but I might end up springing for the real stuff anyway.
                            What, you don't get tires filled with 'dry' nitrogen ala NASCAR? :shock:
                            Me I use helium, cuz it makes the bike so much lighter.

Why's them wheels so heavy? Cuz they got 35 pounds a air in 'em, dummy!

Comment

Originally posted by JMHJ View Post
                              The "real stuff" is soap and water. The original Murphy's product was used as a tire mounting lubricant as well as a household cleaner. Murphy's Oil Soap was sold to Colgate as a household product.

JTM Products (for J.T. Murphy, the originator) has continued with a line of tire lubricants. To quote from their site about their "real stuff" tire lubricant -

QUOTE:
                              MULTI-PURPOSE
                              You can also use Murphy's as an all-purpose cleaner around the shop.

Murphy's pureness and freshness make it useful as an all-purpose shop cleaner and hand cleaner, too. With a lower-quality, cheaper brand you aren't likely to use it as a cleaner because is is less pleasant smelling and tends to be harsher on your hands.

Murphy's is also versatile as a lubricant for rubber parts and other applications.

Tire Dealer Benefit

With Murphy's, you get three products in one:

1) The best tire mounting lubricant on the market.
                              2) An effective, all-purpose shop and hand cleaner.
                              3) A lubricant for other applications.

UNQUOTE

Comment

Working...
                              X