• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tell them you're an optimist.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by ScottMc1100L View Post
    I certainly hope so :mrgreen: !!

I think walking up to the counter with a gallon of Ru-Glyde would be easier to expain than with a gallon of K-Y :shock: ! !
    Last edited by earlfor; 09-01-2006, 12:54 AM.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
      Just tell them you're an optomist.

Earl :-)
      Or the Purchasing Agent for the Swinger's Convention.\\/ :shock:

Comment

I am still using tubes in my spoked rims, and I talc up the tubes so they will not bind & fold when mounting & inflating. Talc also works on the tires, and wont rust the old style steel/chrome rims.

On the really hard to mount ones I break down & use the soap & water trick.

Comment

Dish soap can be corrosive on aluminum parts, so please don't use it for tire mounting lubricant.

Diluted Murphy's should be safer, if you're trapped 90 miles from nowhere and someone's holding a gun to your head and you have to mount the tires to win the immunity challenge and save the president form the terrorists... It smells nice, too, at least better than your average garage.

The tire mounting lube I got from NAPA (the cheaper blue stuff) feels exactly like "Kentucky Jelly". I try not to ponder that too much. Men of a certain age will understand why. It isn't a very good soap, but it's nice and slippery, dries sticky, and rinses off easily. I would bet that it contains some sort of anticorrosive stuff, so it might not be the best choice for intimate moments or impromptu home medical examinations.

The Ru-Glyde (also at NAPA, more expensive) does seem to contain soap -- it'll do a nice job of cleaning your hands while you work. I've used it for mounting tractor tires in another lifetime (if you think motorcycle tires are tough, you ain't seen nuthin'...).

Either one works great. Don't forget to pick up one of those miniature mops for applying the tire lube.
          Last edited by bwringer; 09-01-2006, 03:29 PM.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I used to bust tires for a living. Tractors ain't got spit on skidders!

I go down to my old employer and use their gear. PLain ol' blue lube.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
              You guys are probably going to make fun of me again, But KY is non corrosive, dilutes with water and works well on those days the task turns out to be a F'in Beech.
              :-)

Earl
              That's it! I'll have my GF help me mount them.\\/

Comment

I changed the tubeless tires on my EX500 yesterday (sorry, not a GS this time) with no trouble at all. Started by pinching the old tire in my bench vise to get the bead moving away from the rim - bead did not come all the way off using this method but it did push back several mm. After that I cut-off the tire using a utility knife followed by carefully cutting through the metal tire bead using a dremel tool with a fiberglass cut-off disk installed. The process was very easy and made me wonder why I was concern with this before. Used some Palmolive dish soap to lube the tire bead during install which popped right into place - after reading this thread I'm starting to worry if the soap is going to cause any trouble?? The EX wheels are nicely painted, inside and out, so there is no exposed aluminum to corrode so I think the soap is okay - I hope.

At any rate, don't be afraid of tubeless as long as you have a dremel.

Ed
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I changed the tubeless tires on my EX500 yesterday (sorry, not a GS this time) with no trouble at all. Started by pinching the old tire in my bench vise to get the bead moving away from the rim - bead did not come all the way off using this method but it did push back several mm. After that I cut-off the tire using a utility knife followed by carefully cutting through the metal tire bead using a dremel tool with a fiberglass cut-off disk installed. The process was very easy and made me wonder why I was concern with this before. Used some Palmolive dish soap to lube the tire bead during install which popped right into place - after reading this thread I'm starting to worry if the soap is going to cause any trouble?? The EX wheels are nicely painted, inside and out, so there is no exposed aluminum to corrode so I think the soap is okay - I hope.

At any rate, don't be afraid of tubeless as long as you have a dremel.

Ed
                  Palmolive is a detergent and not a soap. I don't think dish washing detergent is the way to go, but I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it, either.

Hell, I use WD-40 and have for years. Honda shop recommended it. I DON'T recommend it to anyone else. But it works for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X