Pods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods?

I am going to rebuild me '83 GS750ES this winter and was wondering about pods. Are they worth the money? And what kind of performance/ gas mileage difference can I expect?

Originally posted by Hungryman's son View Post
    I am going to rebuild me '83 GS750ES this winter and was wondering about pods. Are they worth the money?
    No.

And what kind of performance/ gas mileage difference can I expect?
    Nothing significant, but a lot of trouble rejetting the carburetors.

Comment

In my opinion they are but I also have an aftermarket 4-1 exhaust with a Dynojet stage 3 jetting kit installed. Cannot give you an accurate gas mileage difference since my carbs weren't set up properly before the pods. The pods make carb work a snap since the airbox is a pita. Jetting for pods can be frustrating but once they are tuned in you will notice an increase in performance especially in the power band. I have my bike running as good as it can but it's never enough hence the 1166 Wiseco bore kit.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

pardon my ignorance, but what are pods?

Thanks!

Comment

there are four of them that attach directly onto the carbs instead of an airbox...I have been considering them for both my 750, and also the custom 550 my brother and I are rebuilding...

Comment

Nice! Thanks, Nateo...

Comment

Originally posted by tomch View Post
              Nice! Thanks, Nateo...

no prob! that pic is from ebay, btw...

Comment

It's a choice. if your looking for a performance upgrade then sure. if you have stock exhaust and an air box and your not looking for a performance upgrade then leave well enough alone.

If you have installed a 4 into 1 header and want to remove the air box and install Pods then you will have to rejet the carbs. You will gain some performance and if you jet and tune it correctly you will still get OK fuel economy but not as good as it was stock. With the header and Pods you'll need a Stage III jet kit. You can expect to see anywhere between 4 to 10 HP gain.

Comment

With pods:
                  more intake noise
                  jetting AAAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH
                  jetting AAAARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH
                  milage will usually go down if you get it jetted correctly
                  small power gain above mid RPMs
                  Stock airbox:
                  no intake noise
                  no jetting probs
                  milage is about ideal for the configuation
                  retains stock power distribution (Power curve)

If you do change to pods, keep the stock airbox so when you sell the bike the next guy has the option of changing back.

Comment

Working...
                  X