Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed rear tire, now bike seems nervous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changed rear tire, now bike seems nervous?

Hello! I've been roaming the boards for the past few months while I fixed up my dads 1980 850g, but this is the first time I've posted. I've had the bike running great, put 600 miles on it no problems at all. Just the other day I got a gigantic nail in my rear tire. So I replace it with another of the exact same kind, dunlop k491, just like the front. Put the rear end back together and take her for a ride. Now the bike handles kinda funny. It seems nervous driving around town, kinda twitcy I wanna say? Seems bouncy after I hit small bumps in the road. And i notice the front end will wobble when i let go of the bars between 30 and 45? There's no front end wobble at highway speeds, but the handling still seems kinda twitchy. So I'm wondering if this could be caused by me putting the rear tire and shocks back on incorrectly? Or is it possible I might have messed up my front end when I compressed it to get the rear tire under the fender? Any other ideas? Thanks!

rear wheel alignment?

Comment

Tires should be replaced in pairs- at least that's my opinion. Buy the cheap gas, cheap oil, cheap filters- but the moment the rear tire get's to the wear bars it's time for new shoes front and rear- regardless of how the front looks.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Funny i've never heard that before,.........as some of you heavy throttled riders might be wearing out a rear in less than 1 season,.......and fronts should last a lot longer. My ex boss rides a Harly,......and on his trips down to Daytona during bike week has been known to put on 2 to 3 tires from doing burnouts! OUCH!,......and double ouch if he has to change the fronts also..................

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        Tires should be replaced in pairs- at least that's my opinion. Buy the cheap gas, cheap oil, cheap filters- but the moment the rear tire get's to the wear bars it's time for new shoes front and rear- regardless of how the front looks.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2006, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Taking the bike out of storage I put brand new k491 tires on both the front and the back. They both had about 500 miles on them when I got a nail in the back, which i just replaced. I wouldn't think that 500 miles between tires would really make a difference. I'm wondering if maybe my new rear tire wasn't balanced right? But would that make my front end wobble at low speeds? And as far as rear end alignment, I didn't really think it was an issue with drive shafts?

Comment

Verify you have an even seated bead on the new tire. Check your Air pressure in both front and rear tires. Check your alignment. Check your steering head for play. Not sure that it would make a difference, but verify the tire was mounted in the correct direction/orientation. BTW, I usually go through 2 rear tires to 1 front. I personally don't think the 500 miles difference would make any difference. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
            X