Electrical output Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical output Query

I have heard that the generator on the GS650 is about 280 watts.
    is this accurate?
    I belive that at a minimum the bike needs ~80 watts, and at max usage about190 watts
    does this sound correct? this is for the bulbs, but does the ignitions, spark etc consume wattage too?

is there a power output chart anyone is aware of?
    ie watts output vs rpms?

in terms of being easy on my regulator, would there be any logic, benefit, wisdom etc to adding a circuit that would power an addl driving light whenever it sensed the voltage was above 13.3 volts [ ie hwy speeds]

thx

Arie,

It sounds like you could review the stator papers. It's not that easy to measure watts since you would have to measure voltage and amperage. However, any stator on a GS should be getting 80 volts AC when you hook up the test leads to any two leads coming from the stator.

With a volt/ohm meter and the stator papers, you can figure out what's up with your charging system. 13.3V is good, but you should be getting between 14-14.8V at 5000 rpm. A reading of 13.3 means it maybe starting to deteriorate.

Good luck-
    Jon
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Thanks for your reply,, however I don't think you understood the nature of my inquiry.

I simply want to understand the output of the generator, not trying to correct any current problems....

Comment

Arie,

Ok. But the orignal premise of my reply still stands. I'm not sure what kind of amperage the stator produces, so you're going to have to find an ammeter. The kind that has a loop that you just put around the wire in question would be ideal. This kind measures amps by the field of electrons passing through the loop.

Once you have the volts and amp measured, just multiply the two and you've got watts.

jon

PS. Sorry if you already know about this electrical stuff...:-D
        16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
        13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
        78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
        Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
        02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Working...
        X