Drive Chain Cover Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive Chain Cover Removal

HELP!! 1979 GS750N I'm trying to run down the reason the Neutral light and shift position lights don't work so I am trying to remove the Drive Chain Cover and a smaller cover with 3 smaller phillip head screws. I was able to remove all screws except the bottom screw in the smaller cover(wouldn't ya know it would be the hardest 1 to get to). When I used the impact driver, it riped the phillip splines out of the head. I tried to use a chisel but it will not budge. Should I drill the head off or is there another way to get it out?? I did a search but could find nothing on this subject(which tells me this is a piece-of-cake for everyone). Thank you guys again for an awesome site. Without this site, I would still be tryin to figure out where the front brake lite switch is?? HH

Just drill the head off... Be as gentle as possible and you should be able to take a set of visegrips to the broken stud, and it should come out.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle View Post
      Just drill the head off... Be as gentle as possible and you should be able to take a set of visegrips to the broken stud, and it should come out.
      Thanks Brveagle, appreciate the info. HH

Comment

I don't think you need to remove that smaller cover. I'm not sure on your bike, but on my '85 700 that smaller cover stays in place when the whole cover behind it is taken off. You might be missing a bolt on the bottom by the shifter. My cover has 5 bolts in it.
        Just wondering if you need to get that little cover off at all.
        My 2 cents worth.

Comment

Drilled the head off and yes the small cover does screw into the big cover.
          I chased all screw treads and washed them out with Liquid Wrench and put anti-seize on all the stainless steel allen's I put back in thanks to GS.
          Thanks.........2 cents is always GOOD:-D

Comment

Working...
          X