O-ring for intake boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-ring for intake boots

Is the part number for the o-rings the same for the 750 as for the 850? Went to Suzuki and picked up PN 09280-38004. There too big. Did I get the wrong part or was I given the wrong part?

Do a check on the AlphaSports site. They use Suzuki numbers.

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

The part you need is 09280-32006 which is used on a ton of bikes including the following GSs:
      Part Description = O-RING (D:2.4 ID:31.7)

GS1000C 1978
      GS1000EC 1978
      GS1000LN 1979
      GS1000N 1979
      GS1000SN 1979
      GS750B 1977
      GS750C 1978
      GS750EC 1978
      GS750LN 1979
      GS750N 1979
      GS850GN 1979

Part 09280-38004 is used on a lot of bikes, but not yours:
      Part Description = O-RING (D:2.4 ID:37.7)
      GS550ET 1980
      GS850GT 1980
      GS850GLT 1980
      GS550LT 1980
      GS650GLX 1981
      GS550LX 1981
      GS650GX 1981
      GS850GLX 1981
      GS850GX 1981
      GS650EX 1981
      GS550TX 1981
      GS850GLZ 1982
      GS550MZ 1982
      GS650GTZ 1982
      GS850GZ 1982
      GS650GLZ 1982
      GS650EZ 1982
      GS550LZ 1982
      GS650GTD 1983
      GS850GD 1983
      GS650GD 1983
      GS850GLD 1983
      GS650GLD 1983
      GS750ESD 1983
      XN85D 1983
      GS700EF 1985

Comment

Thanks guys. Dont think they will give me a hard time exchanging them. I got the number off the instruction sheet that came with the seal kit but it does say for the 850. This was my bad though. I should have taken the old seal with me and had the parts guy look it up. I was doing this on my lunch and was in a hurry. Oh well back to Suzuki I go.

Comment

What did they hit you for, each, for the intake O-rings?

I get so many requests that I've often wondered if I shouldn't just stock the darned things. If I buy enough at one time, I'm sure I could do better than Suzuki per copy, and folks could order them at the same time as the kits I sell...

I've had people tell me that their dealership refuses to order these, and I've had other poor folks emailing from places like South Africa, Bosnia and Panama where there just aren't any dealerships.

Thanks for the data, PTM. I might add the data to my site, if nothing else, so people have some idea of the sizes, so they can at least go searching on their own if there is no local dealership.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I guess I heard that /\/\acmatic was on the deadbeats list, he got me mine. glad I got a couple sets!!

But many thanks to you Robert, I've had a couple sets of yours as well, a godsend! =D>

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
              What did they hit you for, each, for the intake O-rings?

I get so many requests that I've often wondered if I shouldn't just stock the darned things. If I buy enough at one time, I'm sure I could do better than Suzuki per copy, and folks could order them at the same time as the kits I sell...

I've had people tell me that their dealership refuses to order these, and I've had other poor folks emailing from places like South Africa, Bosnia and Panama where there just aren't any dealerships.

Thanks for the data, PTM. I might add the data to my site, if nothing else, so people have some idea of the sizes, so they can at least go searching on their own if there is no local dealership.
              I bought a set of the 09280-38004s last week from my local Suzuki dealer for $1.50 each. Alpha Sports wanted $1.86 for them. I also bought a set of new black socket head cap screws and hardened washers from Ace Hardware for $7.20.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Total was $4.44 ($1.11 each) from Suzuki for the 38006. Was a dollar more for the 38004. HTH

Comment

Talk aboout cheap! I just ordered four o-rings for a 79 GS1000L at the local Motorsports parts counter for $0.99 each. Can't complain there.

Comment

Part number 09280-38004 (used on later CV carb GS850G and others) measures 38mm Inside Diameter X 2.5mm (maybe 2.4mm?) thickness, and is made from a special heat-resistant rubber, like Viton. Ordinary buna-n o-rings will quickly deteriorate in the heat from the cylinder head.

I wasn't able to easily find metric o-rings made from Viton in that size, but a Viton US standard size 128 o-ring is a wee bit fatter in cross-section and pretty much exactly correct in diameter, and it fits and functions just fine. I ordered a bag of 25 for $11 from McMaster-Carr just as an experiment, and they work perfectly.

I'm sure someone makes metric Viton o-rings in the correct sizes, but I didn't find them in a casual search. They're cheap and easily available from Suzuki, so it's not that big a deal.

(Side rant: Why the &^%$# is nearly every fastener in the US still only available in INCH SIZES??????!!!?!?!?!?!? The rest of the world moved to metric something like 50 years ago. All US cars have been made with metric fasteners since the mid-'70s. Yet you can only find a small expensive selection of metric fasteners amongst the vast aisles of useless inch fasteners in a few hardware stores. Are there really that many lawn mowers and Hardley-Ablesons missing bolts?)

After hearing about a couple of misunderstandings, I've recently added Stern Warnings to my web page in hopes that people will take a moment to look up the correct part numbers for their bike instead of assuming that the part numbers I give are universal. The procedure is about the same on all models that use intake o-rings, but the parts may not be.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Just a minor note...

We've been talking about "Viton" rubber. "Viton" is a DuPont trademark for fluorocarbon rubber. 3M makes "Flourel". 3M has been in the business longer than DuPont, and makes more fluorobarbon rubber than DuPont. I worked in a factory that made oil seals and related products, and was one of the largest consumers of fluorocarbon rubber on earth. My personal experience is that DuPont excelled at marketing and Power Point presentations. 3M excelled at making a good, consistent product, listening to us, and helps us solve problems.

For a bit more on materials used for O-rings and their characteristics, and the trade vs. chemical names of different types of rubber, see:

We are able to provide industrial seals and gaskets to manufacturing plants across the globe. From hydraulic seals to pneumatic seals, you can rely on us to have the type of seal you need.

The company sells O-rings. I've never used them. It came up on a Google search.
                      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                        Just a minor note...

We've been talking about "Viton" rubber. "Viton" is a DuPont trademark for fluorocarbon rubber. 3M makes "Flourel". 3M has been in the business longer than DuPont, and makes more fluorobarbon rubber than DuPont. I worked in a factory that made oil seals and related products, and was one of the largest consumers of fluorocarbon rubber on earth. My personal experience is that DuPont excelled at marketing and Power Point presentations. 3M excelled at making a good, consistent product, listening to us, and helps us solve problems.

For a bit more on materials used for O-rings and their characteristics, and the trade vs. chemical names of different types of rubber, see:

We are able to provide industrial seals and gaskets to manufacturing plants across the globe. From hydraulic seals to pneumatic seals, you can rely on us to have the type of seal you need.

The company sells O-rings. I've never used them. It came up on a Google search.
                        Good info! Is there a consumer source for Fluoron o-rings, or is it just a lot simpler to order from Suzuki?
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          Good info! Is there a consumer source for Fluoron o-rings, or is it just a lot simpler to order from Suzuki?
                          I don't know. I was involved in making seals, not selling them. And the factory I worked at didn't make O-rings.

Most types of polymers (riubbers) are made by many manufacturers and in many different grades. By "grade", I don't mean quality. There are hundreds of kinds of steel, stainless steel and aluminum with different properties. Some properties are better for some applications and worse for others. In polymers one example of this is the molecular weight distritubtion, another is the amount of brranching. Some of the properties have nothing to do with performance in the application; they relate only to difficulties in manufacturing. And this last type of category is where I know that 3M does very well. Both 3M and DuPont make excellent fluorocarbon polymers/rubbers.

Given the penetration of the Viton name, I'd be surprised if half of the O-rings out there sold under the name Viton (DuPont) weren't actually made with Fluorel (3M). I brought this up because, if anyone is looking for intake boot O-rings, they should know that "Viton" isn't the only stuff that works. And on the same topic, Buna-N started out as a trademark for nitrile rubber. If memory serves me correctly, this was the first synthetic rubber. It was first made in Germany in the 1930s. For applications that below about 250 degrees F, that only expose parts to normal solvents like gas and oil, nitrile is fine. The O-rings in the fuel system are almost certainly nitrile. Nitrile costs less to produce than fluorocarbon and is a *lot* easier to manufacture with.

For sh*ts and giggles, I think that I'll throw my old intake boot O-rings into some carb cleaner. Fluorocarbon O-rings just might be unfazed by it for 24 hours or so...
                          sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Working...
                          X