Intermitent soark #2 cyl. Any ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermitent soark #2 cyl. Any ideas??

OK, So I have a 1980 GS850G, has just under 63,000 miles on it. The bike has been running great but recently started to lack power so I have figured out that the #2 cyl. isn't firing, occasionally I can feel the bike pull harder for a moment, so I believe it to fire sometimes, aside from possible loose connections, What else could cause this?? I believe if it was the coil, then two cylinders would be out, correct?

It won't let me edit the title
    Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2006, 09:51 PM.

2 things come to mind right off, bad spark plug cap, or petcock leaking gas into the vacuum line that goes to the #2 carb

Comment

OK, I will test the plug boot in the morning, do you know if there are resistors in them or should it read 0 ohms? As far as the vacum line, could you elaborate? Thanks

Comment

Unscrew the cap from the wire. measure the resistance of it, should be around 5K ohms. if one is bad, get all 4 of them.

The vacum line supplies vacuum to teh petcock to allow fuel to flow to the carbs. sometimes the petcock diaphram starts leaking and allows fuel to be drawn in directly into the vacuum line overwhelming the #2 carb with fuel, flooding it, and fouling the plug out.

Comment

Thank you very much, I will check both in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs850g View Post
            Thank you very much, I will check both in the morning.
            Just a note. The vacuum line should be bone dry when removed, if not then the diaphram in the petcock is leaking.

Comment

OK, found good spark to the end of the plug wire, boot measured 31000 ohms, which is in spec of 30-33k ohms. ?Vacum line was dry, so I checked the plug itself, looked ok, had spark outside the cylinder, but I cleaned it anyway, and viola the bike ran great, until I washed, then same symptoms, until it dries and I clean the #2 plug, anyway, I need plug wires, Anyone know where I can get coils cheap, as I understand it, I cannot just replace the wires, correct??

Comment

If you get the concept of how the plug caps screw on the wires you can add new wires the same way with a two sided copper screw.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You can replace just the wires with a butt connector or the copper screw trick, or if you want to really do it right, order a set of the green Dyna coils and groovy new plug wires in the color of your choice.

Here's a great souce for this stuff cheap:
                  Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Lots of folks here are very happy with Z1's service and prices.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Also, if you don't know when the petcock was replaced, or if you suspect it might be original, it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace it. A microscopic hole in the delicate diaphragm could easily let enough gas through to cause the #2 fouling yet still leave the hose dry and show no visual evidence of a problem.

A new petcock is maybe $50 - $60 and will probably last another 20 years. #2 fouling is the textbook symptom of a beginning petcock problem. I'd replace it if I were you.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hey Brian, what's a butt connector
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Hey Brian, what's a butt connector
                        Oh, this one is difficult to resist! [-o< \\/

Comment

This is an example of one:
                          Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Oh man
                            Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            Oh, this one is difficult to resist! [-o< \\/

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I will look into a replacement petcock,

Comment

Working...
                              X