Regulator trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator trouble

I've have my GS1000G in a local shop. They had installed a new stator for me but then later we discovered the R/R was bad.

I had mentioned to him that some people have been using Honda R/R's with good success. He thought that was a good idea and he installed one. It ran great for about an hour until all the lights started going bright and blowing out and the engine began to stall. Luckily I was close to home when this occured. I smelled burning wires and the bike died.

I took the bike back and apparently it was charging too high, above 15 volts. I had goten him a model number off of this site and he ordered another R/R (Honda) and installed it and again it was charging over 15 volts. Now he's ordered a Suzi R/R.

Since someone else is doing the work I don't have anymore info to share but what would cause this to charge at such a high voltage?

Wires

My guess is that he hooked up the wires wrong. (It sounds as though he'd never done that type of swap before.)
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Even Hondas have 12V batteries. Something is not right, especially if wires and insulation is burning.

If you are going to spend the money on stock RR's regardless of the manufacturer, you might as well go straight to the Electrex. That's my recommendation.

Comment

I wonder if he hooked up the sensing wire.....?

Comment

Sort of...

Yeah, Hondas have 12 volt batteries but they also have different color wiring, a different number of wires (in most instances) and a different set of rules as far as how everything ties in. Electrical stuff won't tolerate mistakes the way many mechanical things will.
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by hunter58 View Post
            I've have my GS1000G in a local shop. They had installed a new stator for me but then later we discovered the R/R was bad.

I had mentioned to him that some people have been using Honda R/R's with good success. He thought that was a good idea and he installed one. It ran great for about an hour until all the lights started going bright and blowing out and the engine began to stall. Luckily I was close to home when this occured. I smelled burning wires and the bike died.

I took the bike back and apparently it was charging too high, above 15 volts. I had goten him a model number off of this site and he ordered another R/R (Honda) and installed it and again it was charging over 15 volts. Now he's ordered a Suzi R/R.

Since someone else is doing the work I don't have anymore info to share but what would cause this to charge at such a high voltage?
            I agree with Arkaloid. If the Honda R/Rs were in good operating condition the sense wire must be hooked up to a wire that is hot when the ignition is turned on. If the mechanic wasn't familiar with the wiring scheme and didn't hook up the sense wire properly, the regulator part of the R/R will not function properly and it will overcharge the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
              Yeah, Hondas have 12 volt batteries but they also have different color wiring, a different number of wires (in most instances) and a different set of rules as far as how everything ties in. Electrical stuff won't tolerate mistakes the way many mechanical things will.
              Keep in mind that most all bikes regulators are the same in basics. it is just a matter of finding the right wire colours and hooking them to the right places. In our case, alot of honda regulators work because the mounting holes fit right. I have found even certain ATV's regulators are exactly the same ones they used in stator-equipped Goldwings, which, also fit GS's.

Comment

Working...
              X