850 forks onto 550e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 forks onto 550e?

I just got a 80' 550E. I also got a set of forks supposedly from an 850. The 550 has leading axle. The 850 forks are bottom mounts. Will the 850 forks bolt to the 550? I like the dual discs but are the 850 springs heavier?Will the reduction in trail mess up the geometery? HELP !!

Just use the fork legs from a 650E a 650G or a 750E. :-D

Are you sure your 550 is not an "L" model? The "E" does not have a leading axle fork.
    You may have to find a 750L for the forks. (35 mm tubes)
    I would not try to put a leading axle fork on a non-leading axle bike...

Check this out. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=87809
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2006, 04:17 PM.

Comment

The VIN says it is an E but the forks are leading axle. It really don't handle as good as I thought it would but I've never rode a 550 SUZ before and whadda I know? Should I change back?

Comment

The VIN number for the 550, at least on the early bikes, all started with 550E regardless of the model. My 550L VIN also starts with 550E. If yours has a leading axle and a stepped seat it's an L model.

Comment

That's what it's got. After looking at some pic's it appears I should dual disc's. What have I got?

Comment

My bad...Apparently only european bikes had dual discs. Maybe Japanese. I should have looked at GSR gallery first. I really do appreciate the help and info.

Comment

Originally posted by REDDY View Post
              The VIN says it is an E but the forks are leading axle. It really don't handle as good as I thought it would but I've never rode a 550 SUZ before and whadda I know? Should I change back?
              Don't give up on the handling just yet. Do some searching, we have fixes for that! :-D

FWIW, I got to chase Jimcor on his 550L thru some Indiana twisties, It's no slouch in the corners.

Comment

Reddy, bookmark this site. Now, it's a European site so keep that in mind, but it has a wealth of info.

Probably the largest Suzuki motorcycle fan site in the world. Online since 2001. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki motorbikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers. ALL Suzuki motorcycle models around the world have their place here!

Comment

Working...
                X